How much to feed a 1 year old

My Son just turned 1 year old. I have always made his baby food myself. I've never had any problems so far. But now he has teeth and I'm trying to feed him more solids, but how do I know when to stop feeding him? I've heard they will tell you when they're done, but I could feed him all day. I don't give him any junk food though. Just meat, veggies, fruits. And cheerios. But I don't want him to end up with a weight problem.

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have structured meal times. We have breakfast at 7, lunch at 12 (adjust for naps) and dinner at 5. With usually a snack at 10. They will let you know when they are full, either by playing with their food, or throwing it on the floor. And then unless they are starving, don't feed them between meals. Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• They do let you know when they are done but My 12 month old was eating a TON a food at every sitting. And when he would finish his he would want ours! In the last month I have actually cut down what he eats because I thought he was getting a little 'chunky'. I make him a meat and side dish usually and then he has a small amount of fruit or a snack (like he loves those gerber graduates lil crunchies.) And water to drink. Then he is done. I incorporated another snack time for him too, (It is usually something small like I give him yo baby yogurt) to tide him over until his next meal.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I usually offered a plate of what we were eating (cut up for them, obviously) but about 1/4 the serving. They were eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between each meal and another snack about an hour before bed.

If they ate what I offered them and wanted more I gave it, but kind of cut them off after seconds.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Every child is going to eat a little differently so when you read these messages you have to average out the answer and do what's right for you and your son. About two weeks after my son turned 1 his appetite shot up. He eats all day as well, but not to much. As long as you are giving 3 solid meals with meat and veggies, and then a little snack in between, that's not to much. Your child will generally eat only when their hungry. If you are giving a lot of carbs (veggies are carbs too) then he is going to burn them quicker and be hungry again. It's good to
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Cont.

give a good amount of protein and whole grain food to keep your little one full with good calories. Let you boy eat, if you're giving him whole nutritious food then you don't have much to worry about. He's most likely hit a little grow spurt.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• feed em feed feed feed em,, that's how they'll grow... keep em healthy and feed em...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I heard that we should all eat portions the size of our palms. A one years palms aren't very big so, fruits veggies and meat servings should all be the size of his palm.
    Mami-Talez

Answer by Mami-Talez at 4:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009