When did birthday parties become more than just for the kid whose b-day it is?

Im getting tired of all this b-day crape. I mean its not just for the guest of honor anymore, you are expected to provide food and prizes for the guest too. I probably would not complain so much if were not for the following, I have two b-days one day apart and the guest bring more guest. I tell ya where there is food there is people.

debmom07

Asked by debmom07 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's why we don't throw "parties" for the kids. We take them out to breakfast/lunch (their choice) then they open their gifts and I make them a cake. To make it special for them they don't have to do any chores and usually get to pick what we watch on TV and anything else we eat that day.

I do throw small parties occasionally but I just invite my friend and her kids over for cake. I even make sure they know that gifts are not expected for the birthday child because their presence is the gift. There is no organization to it. We sit and talk and the kids run around crazy and play, then we have cake. I usually have treat bag for the guests which was always a plastic cup with pencils, stickers, some suckers and maybe a small toy (depending on the theme).
    My kids don't seem to care that they don't get huge parties.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think a party is what you make it.. If you dont want to provide "all the extras" then dont!! Simple as that. If anyone gets upset that is THEIR PROBLEM!
    "Those that mind dont matter, those that matter dont mind"
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Don't have a formal kid birthday party. Have a "Shin-dig". We would invite the people we're closest to to the house and have hot dogs, hamburgers, a little inflatable or plastic pool if it wa during the summer. A radio. You know simple things, no decorations, just family friends and fun. Don't try to go broke paying for something that'll only last a couple of hours.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• as far as the added guests go, when parents call to rsvp if they ask "can his sister come?" be polite by telling the parent, "We'd love to have susie come, but unfortunately we only have enough space and food for the amount of children invited. If someone can't make it, we'll let you know and susie can come."
    One year we had "spiderman" at the park for our kids. Every kid was at our table wanting to see him. So we obliged, and they sat around watching his tricks and routine. one of the unchaperoned uninviteds knocked my 2 yr old daughter over and stole a friends son's balloon. I walked that child right over to his mother and told her he was being rude. I won't tolerate rude children ruining my child's party.

sometimes you just have to be firm. And tell them "i'm sorry but we only have enough food for the children invited." Send their "extra" kid off with the parent and a treat bag to heal their hurt feelings.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• One more thing for inexpensive treat bags, try buying stickers at the local dollar store and "pinata toys" at walmart which a big bag costs around five dollars. Just place the stickers on some ziploc baggies and fill with toys and a few pieces of candy. This way you will have plenty of treat bags to go around for those who weren't invited too.

I, personally, just let the uninvited children come. We just cut smaller slices of cake or plan to have a cheap lunch like hot dogs or sloppy joes(which can go a longer way).

You can always go the route of cake and ice cream only, be sure to put that on the invites as well.(join us for cake and ice cream at laurie's bday celebration!) Good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I say the more the merrier. If I invite 20 people I always buy for at least 30.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Have a pitch-in. everyone brings a dish. that is how our family does it. someone brings drinks, someone brings chips, someone brings, paper products (plates, silver, cups, etc.), someone brings potato salad, someone brings pasta salad, we provide cake and ice cream and in the summer hamburgers and hot dogs. if they want something else, they can bring it.

we dont buy treat bags for people.

also, if you really dont want food. make it at a time when people aren't eating. like 2 - 4. that is after lunch and before dinner. and you can put it on the invite like cinderamethyst said.

for the last b-day, we had sloppy joes and hot dogs, chips, potato salad, and pasta salad. we at left over sloppy joe for a week and froze the rest.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009