bedtime after switching to toddler bed....

ok my daughter is 21 months old, and last week we switched her to a toddler bed because she was starting to climb out of her crib. well bedtime used to wonderful ....bath, story, cuddles, then put on music and she was asleep by 9 . well now its the routine but gets up repeatedly until around 1am and i mean every 5 min she is out of bed. please help!

MandyRae

Asked by MandyRae at 12:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that when he figured out how to climb out. I would sit next to his bed a few nights until he fell asleep, get him used to me being there. I would eventually move further away until I was completely out of his room. As long as he knew I was there he was fine. After a few nights of that he finally stayed in his bed and I didn't have to be there until he fell asleep.
    Dharrell

Answer by Dharrell at 12:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Just put her back, put her back, put her back, put her back, put her back.....

Don't say anything, just put her back.

No hugs, no more kisses, just put her back.

It took about two weeks with our youngest.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I agree with reply #2, TiccledBlue.  State the "rules" at bedtime, such as "It's time to go to sleep.  You need to stay in your bed...."  .... something like that.  Follow your regular routine ONCE, not over and over.  You may literally have to pick her up and lay her in the bed 50+ times.  Do not say a word.  Do not give her eye contact.  Do not get upset (the hard part, lol).  Be very, very consistent and you will win the battle.  It will take at least a few nights to a few weeks, but she'll get the picture and be getting up fewer times each night.  Don't give up and don't give in.  Good luck.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009