late prenatal care=WORRIED

okay so i basically started going to the doctor when i was 5 months in a half...right now im 7 months and 1 week...i went to the doctor and they said my baby weighed 4 lbs 6oz....is this what my baby should weigh??i weigh 152 lbs..so im kinda wondering if my babys is the small side...help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm sure everything is fine. The doctors would inform you if you baby was too small or there were problems. As long as you are getting care now and eating a healthy diet and taking prenatal vitamins, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Your baby is already 4 pounds and you still have a while, the baby will pick up the weight!
    javila

Answer by javila at 12:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You're just fine.

The weights are just an estimate, first of all.

Second, in the 7th month, it's not uncommon for the baby to be at an estimate of anywhere from 3.5 to 6 lbs. Again, it's really just an educated guess. I was told that I was going to have a 9.5-10 lb baby, and he was 8 lbs/ 6 oz. So . . . don't worry!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• There is nothing magic about prenatal care in a normal pregnancy. If you are otherwise healthy there is nothing special a Dr. would have been doing the past few months.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Early prenatal care is a good thing, but a woman used to be SURE she was pregnant at somewhere around 8 or 10 weeks, and call the doctor's office. They'd tell her to start taking prenatal vitamins now, and come in for the first visit at around 5 or 5 1/2 months. It wasn't considered necessary to see the doctor until then unless you were having problems or had a history of high risk pregnancies, miscarriage, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, previous c-section, premature birth, etc.
    Anonymous

• You are fine. At 36 weeks the baby weighs around 6 lbs a little more, or a little less depending on genetics. Also, early prenatal care isn't as important as people make it out to be lol. So don't even stress. I went through my entire 2nd trimester with zero prenatal care. If you eat right, take vitamins, etc, things are fine!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009