Eczema..........

by the time my son was 6 months old i found out he had ezcema. I have tried everything and taking him to a dermatologist didn't work on account they gave him steriod creams which i would use when it got severe. I've been using Aveeno everything and it seems to be getting better but NOT like I had hoped. Now it has even gotten to his hands and it's so bad his skin just flakes off and his fingers are RAW!!! Dermatologist just gave more cream which I dont want to use because too much steriod cream can cause kidney failure! Any suggestions on what can make it better!

L0udMommy

Asked by L0udMommy at 12:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Aquaphor works wonders. I stopped using the creams from the doctor and went with Aquaphor and that works better without the affects of steriods. You will find it by the hand lotions, it's made by Eucerin. It also works great on chapped lips.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I use Aveeno on my son. I just slather him up constantly. I do it when he gets up in the morning, about midday, late afternoon, after bath and right before bed. During the summer, I do it more b/c of swimming. My son's dr told me to just smear it on. She said that the skin is so dry that even though you'll see it on the skin, within minutes it will all soak in. So I smear on a thick layer, and it does soak in. Other than that, the only thing I could suggest would be seeing another dr and seeing if they have any better suggestions than the one you are seeing now. ANd I agree about not using the steriod creams, my son's dr said to only use it on flare-ups or it wouldn't really do any good.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i agree with the avoiding steriod creams if possible. message me and i will send some info that might be helpful.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Look into a gluten free diet. The Gluten Connection is an excellent book on this--gluten CAN cause eczema. He may have a gluten sensitivity which is NOT an allergy--it is a intolerance of gluten.
    Anonymous

• A milk allergy is another possibility.Do you use a vaporizer or humidifier in the house?You gotta keep the air moist at all times to help combat it.My son and I both have it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Have you had him tested for allergies? Eczema is not limited to an allergic reaction but it *can* a symptom and it is something allergic individuals are at higher risk for developing.

My DD has mild eczema. We can not use any creams or lotions that include nut oils without making her skin worse - she is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We do use aquaphor with great success. I apply it regularly.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Also make sure that he's not around fragrances. Don't wear perfume or cologne around him. Don't use lotions that have fragrance in them (Aveeno often does). Don't use fabric softener or harsh detergents.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2009