Called by the wrong name!

Heres the situation, I would just like your opinion on how you would feel or react. My father in law called me yesterday and said hi Lauren! (my name is Megan. )Lauren is my husband of 4 years ex girlfriend. So he apologized. He called me back the same day to aplogize again and in the middle of it he said ("you are so special to me Lauren) !!! So I called him out on it and and he played it off as a "senior moment he's 55. I was hurt and still am. He feels really bad, but twice what the ......? Please help ladies, my husband is upset with him too.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 1:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• You have to let it go. This has happened to me by my FIL once, who did it totally by accident. I let it go after the apology. When I was about 8.5 months pregnant my husband's good Marine buddy was staying for a visit. He called me the ex wife's name. I went into the shower and cried (hormones and all), but I was very hurt. Tim apologized and my husband gave him hell too. Now it is a running joke. Yes, it hurts, but you are in control of how far you take it. Be the better and bigger person and move on. If it is done all the time, then I'd suspect underlying issues. All of us have a past and sometimes the past innocently mixes with the present.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it is just a habit. I sometimes call my sister's fiance by her ex's name. I don't mean to do it but sometimes it just slips. I would just tell you FIL how much it hurts when he calls you by her name. Also, if he is doing this with other people's names or misplacing things it could be more serious such as early signs of Altzehimers.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think I'd try to let it slide unless it continues to happen. Maybe he saw someone that looked like her and that stuck in his subconscious. Sometimes I call my kids by the wrong names, so I know it's not always an intentional mistake.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My SIL calls her cousins wife by his ex wifes name and they've been divorced for atleast 16 years (that's how long I've been in the family) and my SIL hasn't seen the ex in all of those years so it's not that she's harboring any feelings and really doesn't even like the ex (she threw her kids away more or less) but anyway, sometimes it's habit and sometimes it is a warning of memory problems but could be something as simple as he's trying really hard to amke sure he doesn't call you the wrong name and calls it by trying too hard (I do that because I'm steadily reminding myself to not slip out the wrong name/word).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I would let it go. Its not like your Hubby called you Lauren in the middle of sex.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I like Teachermom's answer.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I would be hurt to!! But it honastly might be a senior moment!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I'm 56. I do dumb crap like that all the time. So yes it can be a senior moment!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I would be hurt, but i'm sure it was an honest mistake. I'm only 30 and have called my brothers fiance by his ex girlfriends name a couple times.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 3:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• could be a slip. My dad is HORRIBLE with names.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009