Cleaning Bath Toys?

How frequently do you clean your child's bath toys and what type of cleaning products do you use?

rebabeach2

Asked by rebabeach2 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I clean/disinfect my son's bath toys once a week when I do a major cleaning of his bathroom.  I use hot water, baking soda, and vinegar to clean everything.  I also wipe all surfaces with vinegar and water every other day.  It's safe, effective, and inexpensive.  My bathrooms are super clean and very safe for my son.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I bleach all toys including bath toys......
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• once a month
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• bleach is the best !!!! gets that nasty stuff off caused from the water.
    lilredsfrm67

Answer by lilredsfrm67 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Please do your own research on chlorine bleach.  It is highly toxic and I would never, ever use it in my home, especially with things that my child handles.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• That is my concern too DeTora. I've gone entirely to vinegar and baking soda everywhere but in our bathrooms. We have an older house and the grout around the tiling is a major scum trap. The only product that is really effective is bleach. But I really do not want to use it in areas or toys my girls use.

Do you soak the toys in a hot water/ vinegar solution?
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i agree with DeTora... i don't use bleach around my daughter... i don't even use it for hubby or myself. only on occasion around counters after raw meat or if a window or such gets mold. i think bleach is extremely harmful to humans and have used salt, lemon, vinegar and baking soda for many years now to clean my home. i put DD's bath toys in a net and clean everything only if it seems the soap in building up---i also buy toys for the bath that say "mold/mildew resistant".

gotta say also i can't STAND how the bleach companies advertise their stuff as a CHILD-SAFE product and show people and Happy Babies around bleach--for highchairs (i'd NEVER) and toys (i'd NEVER again!!!!).... etc..... sorry just had to mention that!!! =)
    Mom2Alyssa1705

Answer by Mom2Alyssa1705 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i always worry about bleach water getting trapped in the toys and my babies drinking it. how do you do the vinegar cleaning thing?
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I use just rum or vodka and I do it like once or twice a year.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2009