strange...

ok, so i've gotten two phone calls today, from an unknown number, when i answered, it was some foreign chick trying to collect a debt of ninety some odd dollars, and I don't think i have any debt with anyone,...advice?

i just hung up on the girl because she didn't tell me who she was with..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I heard a really frightening story on Air America about something similar a couple of weeks ago....Some of these phone calls are scams, and they try to get you to give out credit card #s or routing, and checking account info...If they won't tell you the name of their company, who they are collecting for, and give you an actual U.S. address to send a money order, you should hang up on them.
    debbie1972

Answer by debbie1972 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I got a letter the other day stating that this company could help drop my PMI on my mortgage. At the bottom of the letter it had the " this is an attempt to collect a debt" saying. Now, I'm not totally debt free so it caught my eye. My husband said it was probably from a collector trying to get my attention.
    Anonymous

• You need to watch these things, we got a letter a year ago saying we owed someone and we knew we did not, got an attorney oh guess what it was dropped they were wrong, be careful!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 6:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think these things are all scams. For example, the PMI thing... was your name ever in the paper about your house -- whether good or bad? Even when you buy your home, your name is put in the paper. Or, it doesn't even half to do with your house -- they see your name somewhere and bingo! Or, have you ever been late on a bill? I'm not sure how but these scam groups get a ahold of your name and deliquent status somehow and the next thing you know... Another way they get your name is by looking in the obits. They track down relatives of the deceased and call them claiming to be a debt collecter and how they need to speak with the person in charge of the estate. Next time they call get a name and address and then look them up. Chances are if they are scams they won't give you one and will just hang up.
    Anonymous

• I got my phone bill yesterday and was charged 14.95 for radio charge called the phone company and he said it is a scam and dont know why they are billing it to me so I called this number and they told me that my hubby ordered it off internet some commercial free digital radio.....for my home phone give me a break. Hubby said he never did which it doesnt make since since we have a regular home phone anyways....They just got information off the internet just to try to get money. Be careful there are a lot of scammers out there never give out important information unless you are for sure who you are giving it to
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It sounds like a scam. Go online and put your number on the do not call list. If it is already on it, report the company. If this doesn't work, call your phone company and try to get the number blocked.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• The do not call list is an excellent idea.
    Whenever anyone calls that I am not familiar with I tell them to send me the information either by mail or email. If they refuse then I tell them that I am going to contact the company they say they are with personally and report them for fraud. This happened when someone called and said they were from my bank. When I reported them to my bank, my bank told me I did the right thing and that their security department is going to take care of the problem. I never got a call from them again.
    Also, if any calls slip through offering me something, I just tell them I am not interested and to take my phone number and name off their list immediately. They have to by law and never call back. It works for me.
    Keep a close eye on your credit report, too, to make sure no erroneous claims are being placed on it.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2009