how old should a child be to play in their room alone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's a matter of how old I thinks its a matter of if they can play without hurting themselves, or if they can handle being alone. I would keep a monitor on in the room while they're playing just to be safe
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Mine have been doing it since they could climb stairs...about 18 months for the oldest.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My kids have been playing in their room alone since they could crawl in there by themselves. They are all very independent. We didn't use monitors or anything (we had one when they were babies but the receiver was upstairs in my bedroom).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Since dd started crawling she has had a baby proofed path from the living room to her bedroom open for her to have free range. She loves it and has been coming and going since then (about 9 months)
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• the kidlets bedroom is the safest place in my apartment lol im all for independent play, i think its healthy part of development just like social or group play...with that my daughter was a year and my son was8m (when he started to crawl) him earlier bc theres no seperating the two lol
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Me, like everyone else, let my kids play alone in their room as soon as they were able to get there by themselves. Of course, I'm the most laid back mother I know. I let my kids play outside by themselves, and they are 5,4, and 3.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My boys play by themselves in their room all the time. They are 14 months and 27 months. I love it when they are really playing and I can sit in the living room and hear them laughing together. It is such a great sound!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• 18 months is around when my kids started. It is the best thing ever!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2009