filing taxes?

i've never worked before so i don't have any experience with filing taxes. my husband recieved unemployment for all of last year, and he received his w2 form however the amount in the "federal income tax withheld" is $0. we didnt receive any other money from other sources other than state assistance. i just wanted to know if we still needed to file our taxes. we have 2 children also-- im not sure if that applies. i asked my husband but he says we dont need to file-- however he is extremely hard headed and lazy and never bothered asking anyone so i dont want to base my knowledge on what he knows. so if anyone can help, i'd be much appreciative. thank you! =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, you should or the IRS will come and fine you. You need to do your taxes every year if you are reciving any kind of goverment aid or income. Turbo tax does have free online forms that you can use. All that you need to do is fill in the blanks (most of the spots stay blank) of how much you have recived on your W2 and with state assistance. Your two kids are a write off.

Good luck.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 9:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I believe you do. Call the IRS or a tax preparer and ask them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• turbo tax has a free version online. I think you do need to file. Turbo tax will walk you through everything.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• yes you need to file them. It's probably a good thing too. even though you didn't pay in, you should get EIC (earned income credit) which could give you a tax return of $1000-$3000.. so I would if I were you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Yes, you need to file. You have the option to have taxes withheld. My husband was laid off for part of the year and we didn't have anything withheld. This really hurt us on our taxes this year.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 10:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009