I'm a 43 year old Mother with my youngest being 21/soon to be step Mother to a 7 year old lil girl & a 8 year old lil boy.I'm i too old to start all over? Sorry if this was a stupid question.

Is age 43 to old to start all over in raising children?

okl_dreamer

Asked by okl_dreamer at 3:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, no. As long as you can love them and care for them. i have known women to HAVE babies at around 40. But if your soon to be dh has children, then they are part of his package. So you have to be willing to be an "all the way" step mother. If you are not willing to do that, then dont marry him. He will resent you for not loving and caring for his children. And the children deserve someone who loves them too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• nope- my fiance is 45 and has 2 kids that are 18 and 13 and im 24 and we have 3 beautiful boys and one on the way- ages 5 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 - "age aint nothin but a number!" lol- as long as u have love in ur heart for more kids then u will be just fine!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It's never too old or too late - it's a mindset for yourself. You either want to or you don't. I had my own "rule" of not getting involved with anyone who had kids younger than mine. Well, that rule went out the window. haha. The good thing for me is he does not have custody of his kids. They are only visitors. I made it known to him up front that my kids did not need a father, and his kids don't need a mother. I am his girlfriend/fiance. I will not "babysit" his kids or be responsible for them. In my home they will have no more special treatment than any other member of our families. If they break the rules they have to be reprimanded in some way, just like anyone else. And I won't do the reprimanding....I can just talk to him about it and he will deal with his kids. I was lucky to be able to watch step parents in advance of my own situation and learn to NOT get overly involved in what wasn't mine, and then regret it later.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I actually know several moms who had children in the 40's. I am 43 also and have a 24 year old daughter, my stepson is 25 with two children so that makes me grammie........and my husband and I have a 6 year old daughter. So yes of course it can be done. Would these children be with you full time or part time? Build a good relationship with them. Dont go in expecting anything but happiness and comfort for everyone involved. It will work out.........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Your age and experience should be a great blessing to these children. You are not starting over you are simply giving more children the gift of love, guidance and wisdom. If anything you have a much better understanding of things now and would be a much better mother having already made all the mistakes and learned from them. These children should end up adoring you because you will really connect with their concerns, weaknesses and strengths knowing so much ahead of time.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I guess that depends on you. can you love them like they were your own? Will you treat them good? Will you be there when they need someone no matter what? It doesn't matter how old you are, its what you do that counts. You will know from previous experience when one of them is trying to get over on you and thats a good thing☺
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm 44 and have a 3 year old! I do feel old around some of the other mothers. It keeps you young!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009