Exercise and diet advice during pregnancy...?

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I'm not really showing too much yet but I have been eating like a hog!! No joke, it's not so much that I'm hungry all the time it's just that I'm always craving stuff. I'm trying to control and monitor what I eat and I'm just wondering, what are the best kinds of food to eat while pregnant? Does anyone have advice on how to keep from gaining weight in places other than your tummy? My thighs are starting to get big :/ and What kind of exercises are best to do?

javila

Asked by javila at 4:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• whole grains, organics, things without artificial colors or sweeteners, no high fructose corn syrup. Monitoring your salt intake and red meat intake, etc. :)

As for exercise, you can walk that is always a good option. Weight gain depends on the body and genetics, some women can eat and work out, etc and still gain wait everywhere. lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• you shouldnt diet and weight gain is normal. duh
    Anonymous

• I didn't say I was gonna diet, thanks. I asked what the best foods were to eat, I'm not dumb. And I am aware that weight gain is normal, I'm simply trying to control it. don't be a smart ass.
    javila

Answer by javila at 12:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Well, keep everything in moderation, and you'll be fine. If you are wanting to munch a lot, try carrots or raw sugar snap peas. I let myself have anything I wanted, whenever I wanted with #1 and gained about 45 pounds. However, I lost nearly all of that within 6 months. I only gained about 30 with the next two. I craved Sonic ice with #3, so that was really low-cal!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• try to eat fruit instead of snacks when you're craving something sweet. I know its hard but it will be better off for you. The first poster is right, eat whole grains, watch your salt intake (lead to swelling). I also drank 1% milk instead of 2% that might sound crazy to some but my dr said it was fine. I would also advise you to keep a food diary, its a good reminder so you can check that you're eating all the good things that are recommended to eat. Walking is great at any time and especially when pregnant. I exercised all through my pregnancy. For the first couple of months til you're not supposed to lay on your back I did ab workouts and after word I did a lot of leg exercises. check out this link: http://www.babycenter.com/0_great-pregnancy-exercise-stretching_588.bc
    I actually still had that link on my bookmarks from when I was pregnant. lol.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 9:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have always heard that you are not supposed to change your exercise regiment from what it was BEFORE you got pregnant. If you were a walker before, continue walking. But if you were a couch potato before, you shouldn't start a heavy work out pattern. Starting to walk is okay, though. And as for what to eat, I am a FIRM believer in the food guide pyramid. Just make sure you get the right number of servings of each group and DON'T EAT IF YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY. That is the easiest way to keep from gaining too much weight.
    cashionfam2008

Answer by cashionfam2008 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If you didn't exercise regularly before, don't start now. During pregnancy is NOT the time to start a new exercise regimen. Just eat right (follow the food pyramid guidelines), give in to the cravings but don't overdo it (if you crave ice cream, eat a serving, not 5) because a craving is often a sign that your body is lacking something in what you're craving (crave meat? low iron. crave bananas? low potassium. etc). If you're that worried, you really really need to bring it up with your doctor/ob, they'll tell you what's best and refer you to a nutritionist and/or trainer if needed.
    Anonymous