Traveling overseas with kids.

We are getting ready to move overseas in a couple of months and the thought of flying that long with 3 kids is stressing me out, I'm not really worried about my 16yr old but my 9 & 10yr olds get bored very easily. What is the best way to keep them occupied?

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I was 9, my family moved to Japan. My sisters were 8, 6, and 5. My poor mom... but to this day, if you ask her about it she is very proud of herself for not losing any kids, beating any kids, or strangling a certain flight attendant. LoL.

We each had our own backpacks with our enterainment inside... Coloring books, reading books, CDs/player. And lots of snacks. I'm not sure with the regulations what you can actually bring, but I flew with my 3 year old in Feb. and I brought suckers and skittles plus a few juice boxes and a bottled water and a PBJ.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I make a bag of new toys, books, etc... when they get restless I get out a new toy. Of course mine are 6 so anything new is a hit. How about a portable DVD player and a couple of new movies.

Good luck to you.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• let them carry there own *backpacks* as carry ons. Maybe get some *new* items before the trip, things to keep them occupied that you know they would like? I have flown overseas many times and there is no reason for a child of that age to act up, etc lol. Just make sure they have lots to do :) I always had a cd player, (never had a portable dvd player when I was a kid), coloring books, other books, mini games that I could play with my sister, snacks, etc. :) I traveled to Germany, just my sister and I, when I was 11, to visit my oma and opa. It was fun and we were never bored.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• The last time I flew I saw a few kids watching movies on laptops. I thought that was a great idea.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm sure everything will go fine, I just tend to stress out.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2009