What should I do about my son's baseball coach?

My 9 year old son plays AU and Babe Ruth baseball with the same coach. He has been on this coache's team since T-ball. The other parents are clique-ish and alot of the boys have fathers who are out there helping out. My husband has real bad asthma and does not get involved and I have two small girls to watch during the games. My coach seems to pick on my son if he does't get a hit or makes any mistake and my son just hangs his head with embarrassment. The coach does't say anything to the other little boys because their dads are out there and would get mad. I don't get upset that he gets on my son, but I don't feel that my son should be the only one that is reprimanded. Should I let this go or find another team for my son? Or am I being overly sensitive about this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you are being an oversensitive mom. Is there a REASON that the coach would do this to your son. Most people who coach Babe Ruth leagues do it for FREE. So they are generally people who like ball and kids too. So unless you have some reason to believe that he is doing it for some reason. Then you are probably just being sensitive b/c its your son.
    Anonymous

• My brother had a coach that owned a sporting goods store and would play the kids that their parents shopped at his store more and treated then better too. Like the other kids didnt even exist. I would bring it up to him, maybe it is unintentional, but at least let him know you dont appreciate it and you now what is happening. If not switch teams. Thats what my mom had to eventually do.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• This does happen sometimes,and I know as a Mom you want to bust on tthat coach,but,it would make things worse OR he would tell you to take your son from the team. How does your son react to it? thats whats most important. If it gets to be too stressful,remove him from the team and go elsewhere. After all sports are supposed to be fun too.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 5:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Talk to the coach. That is NOT right. It doesn't matter if the coaches are doing it for free or not. Their job is to teach the kids the game of baseball and that includes teamwork. My son has been playing with Cal Ripken Jr League, which is an offshoot of Babe Ruth, the coaches go through training on how they are to coach. If a coach is signaling kids out, then he is not being a good coach. Unfortunately, you probably won't be allowed to switch teams. If talking to the coach doesn't do anything then talk to the person in charge of the league.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I guess Im over protective. I would address this. I dont care if a coach volunteers or not. That does not mean there isnt favortism or that a volunteer coach doesnt have a mean streak. Certain kids sit on the bench constantly. Certain kids are constantly picked on by coaches be they volunteer or not. Its the way of sports. So please if you feel that your son is not being treated fairly, by all means find out.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Favoritism exists in ALL sports and if its an independant league team,sure you can voice your concerns,but,I have a feeling he's going to tell you that if you dont like it,take him to another team. Sad,but true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Babe Ruth is not an independent league, it is a nationwide league and they have pretty strict rules and regulations. If I remember correctly, every child has to play in every game, they cannot sit out more than 2 innings a game. If nothing is being done at your level, then complain to the national organization. There may be favoritism but it should be blatant and shown. ALL kids deserve to be treated fairly and equally. If the coach can't do that then he or she shouldn't be coaching.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Why did you let it get this far, I would let anyone talk to my child like that, say something, hey keeps doing because you haven't stop them. Get him out of there, no one is standing up for this child that is not good, let someone talk to my child in demeaning why they would have to deal with me, your child is there to play a game not to fell bad for a mistake.

OVERSENSTIVE, give me a break this is your child, volunteer or not, when you volunteer is does not give you the right to treat a child like that. You are being a mother, protect your child, do what you feel is right. Your child is their to enjoy the love of baseball and he should have the shcane just like all the other children, he not there to feel bad.
    Blesstravelmom

Answer by Blesstravelmom at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would definitly address this. I follow my gut on things like this. Your son might grow do dislike the sport if he doesnt feel like he is doing good.... besides... this is still suppose to be fun!!! This isn't major leagues, it's fun sports. talk to the coach, and just ask him to throw a little more positive reinforcement in there. Hey buddy awesome hit, but next time see if we can make a record on hitting first base.. - getting across, hey run faster. There are many ways to say things with out making them hang their heads!! Good luck!
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009