When to start Stage 2 Baby Foods?

My 8 month old princess will be 9 months old on April 4th. She only started accepting canned Baby Food when she was just ending 7 months old. She's tried and will eat Peas, Green Beans, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Peaches and Pears. She loooves it when i give her tiny pieces of wheat bread. She's getting much better at gumming and swallowing it. We tried giving her Stage 1 Turkey but she couldnt really swallow it.

So when did you go to Stage 2 foods? When was your little one able to swallow Stage 1 Meats? Did we try the meat to early?

Thank you all for your answers. I appreciate your time!

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 4:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stage 1 is for the Supported Sitter
    * Sits with help or support
    * On tummy, pushes up on arms with straight elbows
    * Moves pureed food forward and backward in mouth with tongue to swallow
    Stage 2 is for the Sitter
    * Sits independently
    * Picks up and holds small objects in hands
    * Reaches for food or spoon when hungry
    * Uses upper lip to help clear food off of spoon
    Stage 3 is for the Crawler
    * Crawls with stomach off the floor
    * May pull self up to stand
    * Begins to self-feed with fingers
    * Begins to use jaw to mash food

*****www.gerber.com***** explains all the stages (as above) and is a very helpful guide
    Each stage depends on where your child is developmentally.
    kimberly1981

Answer by kimberly1981 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My daughter is 7 months. She's doing fine on stage two food.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• What is the differance beween Stage 1 and Stage 2? Did she react differently?
    To me it looks like the food just comes in a bigger can and its more taste. Like instead of just Peas you'd get a Turkey and Peas Dinner.
    When did she start Stage 1, if i may ask?
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months and she is doing fine. Maybe she do not like the taste of the turkey alone try to get some bananas on the spoon as well or try (gerber apples and chicken) my daughter will NOT eat meat plain it has to be mixed with something.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My daughter turned 8 months old yesterday. She has been eating stage 2 foods for a month now. It just depends on how hungry she is. They are also a little more thicker. Stage one foods are test foods. Mainly to get your child use to solids and to see if your baby has any allergies.Just start her when you think she is ready.
    Mrs.Bolin

Answer by Mrs.Bolin at 5:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• The only difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is that stage 2 is a bigger jar (more cost effective) and is available in combos.

We started with stage 2 at 4-5 months and table foods at 6 months. We never did stage 3 because our pediatrician said it was unnecessary and a choking hazard. By 9 months they were only eating table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• if she is sitting up on her own, she should be fine. It may not be that she's having a hard time swallowing it. It could just be that she doesn't like the taste of it. I know my DD and nephew HATED stage 1 meats and refused to eat them. They spit them out all the time. Really the only differences in stage 1 and 2 is the size of the jars and the variety in stage 2 vs. stage 1. That's about it. Stage 1 is set up for starters, and help get the allergy testing out of the way. Stage 2 is for when they can hold down more, (at age 9 months she should be able to do stage 2s without any problems). Stage 3 are the ones with chunks in them. So move up to stage 2 for a month, and see how she handles the different flavors, if she is still chewing fine, I see no problem with moving her right up to stage 3 after that, as long as her teeth are in.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My daughter is 6 months old. I started her on stage 1's when she was 4 months old. She is currently on stage 2's and is doing fantastic. She especially likes the mac and cheese dinner and the turkey rice dinner and sweet potatoes and corn.
    RLugo

Answer by RLugo at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• anytime now is fine...i didn't think there was much difference except for more choices, and some are a little thicker. the veggies and fruits didn't seem any different to me.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2009