• In the Spotlight:

when do I start tooth brushing

my LO has not teeth yet, but I think he is starting to get them in. When do I start to brush his teeth, should I start before her gets them so he is used to it. Also I know I am not supposed to use tooth paste, but is there anything I should use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All you need right now is warm water and a wash cloth to wipe his gums. Good to start before, just so they get used to it. Later, when he has teeth they make a toothpaste substitute thats safe to use in the baby isle.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 4:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You can start before the first tooth even arrives but you MUST start with the first tooth.

I agree with Mommy_bink... all you need is a damp wash cloth for now. Simple get him used to you sticking something in his mouth and wiping off his gums and early teeth. Once he has several teeth, you can switch to a baby toothbrush if you want - make certain it is sized for tiny mouths. You can start using baby flouride free toothpaste anytime you want too - but be certain it has no flouride. He shouldn't use flouride toothpaste until the knows not to swallow it and knows how to spit - sometime around 3 or 4.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We started "brushing" when they started solids. They didn't have any teeth and we barely really brushed. We gave them their little tooth brush and let them chew on it for a while, gave their gums a quick brush and by the time they had teeth to brush they were used to the toothbrush and we've never really had a battle when it was time to brush teeth each day.

I don't know..it worked for us.

We didn't use toothpaste at all until they were about 18 months, and are still using the children's flouride free even for our 5 year old (the 5 year old and 3 year old can both spit now)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• http://www.orajel.com/products/baby/tooth_gums/cleanser.htm

this shows the products I bought for my DD, as well as instructions at the bottom for when to start and the best methods. Hope this helps. I know it helped with my little one.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I wuold just get a little toothbrush..baby einstein oral b makes them for 4 months and up. I used it on my DD before she got her first tooth. Ive read that using a toothbrush or even electric toothbrush to massage their gums helps with teething also. It loosens up the gum tissue so they don't have to work as hard to pop thru.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009