Honestly, who needs this much???

Before you start the bashing, my husband is in school and working full-time. I am at home with our two children with special needs (one has Autism and the other has Asperger's) and our youngest (3). My husband was laid off and went back to school in a better field. We are NOT taking a hand out!

We have been getting food stamps for 6 months. We just had our reevaluation. First off, they were giving us too much to start with at $495 a month for our family. Now they are giving us $630!!! Who really needs this much money to pay for food???

The first time around I asked my caseworker if they could lower it, we were getting way too much. She said no, we either take it all or nothing. I asked again this time and got the same response and now they are giving more! I only want to take what I need and no more than that (about $250 a month).

Really, who needs $630 a month for food for a family of 5? I sure don't!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I disagree that the OP came off as bragging. I understand that she feels it is a good thing that she can make $250 go so far (and it is a good thing!). Since when aren't we allowed to be politely proud of the good things we've done and can do? I'd rather see someone be happy, confident and proud than wallowing and worrying about what everyone else is thinking.

To the OP, I applaud you for being honest about what you feel is getting too much money. If people gave more honest feedback into the system and only used what money they REALLY needed, there would be more to go around for those that need help! I am impressed with your honesty. I probably would just stock up on some canned goods or non-perishibles. I wish I could learn to budget my groceries like you! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Wow...thats a lot of money! Are you allowed to buy toiletrees with it as well? I would just stock up on canned goods and toiletrees for when the money is gone.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 4:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Um.... my food bill for my family of 6 is around 900.00 a month!! Thats eating cheap, home cooked meals. I would love to say I could live off of 250.00 a month! You can send the rest to me!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 4:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I spend around $150 a week on a family of 3. Of course we have meat and potatoes for every supper, my hubby is a steak and taters guy. We pay out of our own pockets though
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it would be wise to use that money to stock up on shelf stable foods, like flour, pasta, canned goods. If you have too much of that, it won't spoil. If you don't end up using the extra and exp. dates are getting within a couple of months or so, donate it to a food pantry or soup kitchen.
    Anonymous

• Yeah you must be eating ramen noodles if you can live off of that. Good for you. Why don't you buy extra and give the food away?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• OP here - I would love to help out others with it but if you get caught the state charges you with fraud. I wish they would let US have a say in how much we get. This is so far over what we need! We have a garden and eat mostly vegetarian. We only have beef a max of once a week. Chicken once, maybe twice.

I would rather have less and know that some other family who needs it is getting some. FS is only supposed to supplement your food bill, not be the whole thing.
    Anonymous

• Youll only get charged with fraud if you profit off of it. They cant do anything if they give it away.. what are they going to say? You gave it away instead of letting it spoil? Shame on you. If this is the case, WIC needs to charge me with giving a couple gallons of milk and a few things of juice to my brother, his wife and their daughter. Lord knows I dont need 12 things of juicey juice a month..

Btw- this comes off like youre bragging. Just so you know ;)
    Anonymous

• See, you are one of those good people who are using the system the RIGHT way.

Congratulations! and I agree with the other post stock up on canned and toiletries if you can.

Anonymous

• How in the WORLD does this come off as bragging.

"hey world check us out were on food stamps" No never came across as bragging to to me!
    Anonymous