Drug testing welfare recipients

This has come up before on here. Well, Illinois is now considering this. I am all for it, but what about the family members who are doing drugs, even if the main recipient isn't? Do you think all members of a household should be tested? And how often should they be tested? Every month, before they get their dole?

my4lads

Asked by my4lads at 5:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Illinois will soon realize this is going to cost their taxpayers rather than save.. Good luck Illinois!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it is a great idea! Why shouldn't they have to be tested? That is my taxdollars paying for their welfare.If there is someone in the household doing drugs they should loose the benifits period. They should be tested EVERY week.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it is a good idea as long as they also offer services so those who test positive can get treatment. As far as the rest of the family, who else are they going to test? The kids that are 6 and 9 and 12 years old? I say test the parents. As long as one is clean, they can receive benefits while the other is undergoing rehab. If both test positive, send them both to rehab... but then there is the question of what to do with the kids.
    Anonymous

• Yeah ron, not only will your tax dollars being paying for their welfare, but itll be paying for the hundreds of thousands drug screenings on a regular basis, putting the users in treatment, and putting their children in foster homes. Geez- that sounds like a great idea after all. o.O
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it is great. If a person has the money for drugs they don't need welfare. If they don't give the drugs up the kids should be placed with family or in foster care. Foster care is not ideal but better than living with low lifes who put their habit over working and feeding their kids.
    Anonymous

• I would rather pay for a 35.00 drug test, then pay for someone abusing the system. And by abusing the system, I mean those who choose not to work, and sit around doing drugs.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 5:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• No, I am against pre-employment and PA drug testing. FOr PA it will end up costing way more than it saves.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i think they should test one parent at least
    maybe every 6 months?
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 5:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• "I would rather pay for a 35.00 drug test, then pay for someone abusing the system. And by abusing the system, I mean those who choose not to work, and sit around doing drugs."

According to the website posted below, in 2008 there were 62,525 adults on welfare. Times that by $35.00. That is 2,188,375 to test ALL welfare receipients in Illinois just ONCE. Now I would imagine you would have to test the welfare users on a regular basis to keep from drug users from using welfare. Do the math.. Thats way too much money to even bother with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/25/us/20090126-welfare-table.html
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Make them pay for the test if they come up postive. They have the cash for drugs they can pay for the test. Probably more than half will come up positive. They are all kicked off assistance that will save money.
    Anonymous