Is it possible to start breastfeeding again after weaning for 3 months

I weaned off my baby after a month. He just couldnt latch on. I pumped for a few more weeks, but gave that up too. I didnt get any motivation I guess. Thing is, this has been killing me with guilt. I really regret weaning and REALLY want to start again. I exclusively breastfed my first baby for 9 months and its partly because she took to it like a pro and I got lots of help and support.

I just want to know if it is possible to start again and if there are any risks involved to the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes you can and no there are no risks... only benefits :D
    Anonymous

• It is if you still have milk (you know if you leak a little everynow and then) but it is a very large process you need to pump as many times a day as you would nurse to build up that supply and then work on reteaching you rbaby to eat more or less. You may also need a medication to boost your supply again or you can just take fenugreek. I got to the pumping back my supply but my baby was more mad about nursing the second time around than he had been the first. He was born preemie and his suck was too weak to get what he needed. I know about that guilt feeling. It was especially hard for me to deal because he had such a beautifully perfect latch everytime. When his suck was strong enough to be successful at nursing (he was using stage one nipples instead of preemie nipples) i tried and tried and tried but by then he was so confused and frustrated it just wasnt going to happen. I dont think you should feel guilty stuff happens
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You can even if you don't have milk. Women have breastfed adopted babies having never had a child on their own. Check out Kellymom.com there should be links there on relactaing. Good luck!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Go for it!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It maybe something you have to work at but yes if you are still lactating then its possible, have you tried to put your baby on the breast yet? And if so how did he handle it? As far as supply goes I would nurse as much as possible to get your supply back up, but you are still probably going to have to supplement for a while also, and the best way I can think of to do that you be to always put the baby to breast first and let him nurse for as long as he wants on both sides then offer him a bottle afterwards, I am sure if you keep doing this you'll be fine, Also I recommend joining a group on here called breastfeeding moms its great and they have lots of support and helpful advice GL and PM me if you need anymore advice

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Try seeing a lactation specialist. They have some medications that you can take to include lactation.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 10:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I ment induce not include.
    dreyamom

• My daughter wants to do this, too!
    Her milk supply dwindled when she breastfed and my granddaughter has been on bottles for 7 weeks, but my daughter still leaks a tiny bit. She asked my opinion about trying again and I told her to go for it. So she is going to start pumping again to try to get the supply going again (I pray it works) and ask her doctor if it is safe to give to her baby with the medications she takes. If she gets the green light then she is going to put the breastmilk into bottles again. Her baby will NOT latch onto the breast at all so the bottle is the only way to go, but I would be so pleased if she had the benefit of breastmilk again.
    Go for it and I wish you all the best! ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009