What can I do make the ear infections stop?

My little girl is 4 years old and was born with a cleft lip and palate. A year ago a doctor put tubes in her ear because they say she had alot of fluid due to the cleft palate. she's never had any problems before with her ears though. Well ever since this Dr. put tubes in her ears, they leak out gross stinky stuff. I brought her to the dr. and they say its just a lil infection. They other day it leaked so much it looked like boogers comin out her ears. I know gross right! Do you think maybe the dr. mess up her ear? I'm getting them replaced because I think he might have. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what I can do? The dr. is no help they say it's just a lil infection....... but it stinks!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My youngest son has Pierre Robin Sequence, so he was born with a cleft palate. He has had tubes for over a year now. We have issues with drainage on the outside quite a bit. IF the drainage is greenish or dark yellow tinted, I would talk to your dr. Are you seing a pediatric ENT or just a pediatrician? One thing our ENT had us do that helped out alot was to make a solution of 5 ml white vinegar and 5 ml room temp water. Then we had a syringe with a special tip and held him over the sink and flushed his ears twice a day. 5 ml of the solution per ear, each time. Definately talk to a pediatric ENT though.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• it's normal it always happens with tubes just keep them clean with a q-tip i'm not sure if you can put ear drops in her ears i'd ask the dr. first but my best friend had tubes and so does both her kids and the same thing happened with all of them.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 5:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It's possible that the infection isn't due to the tubes but was there before, but I really don't know. If there is an infection you'd think she'd be on antibiotics. To answer your question, my son had frequent ear infections when he was 4, so we had his tonsils out and tubes put in, and after that no more ear infections.

Answer by Bmat at 5:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Okay Thank you! I am glad it's not just her. I was afraid that it was something worse that only happened to her. I was scared she'd lose her hearing or something. Usually they do give her antibiotic but the last time I brought her they prescribed her a drop. I went to the pharmacy to fill it when I was on my way out I recieved a call from her doctor telling me not to put the drops in her ear because she has tubes. Well that tube fell out a couple of weeks ago, so I've been putting the drops in because I just want it to stop. It's gross and she always wants to put her finger in that ear.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think its an infection my dd has had tubes for a year and they never leak
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think theres something very serious going on, tubes may help a lot of children but I dont think its wise for your child to have them, I wouldnt stop till I got a professional opinion, she could lose her hearing. If her tubes come out I would leave them out and get some SWEET OIL and put in her ears, Keep them cleaned out and see if the condition gets any better, but I would still get another opinion from another child doc a.s.a.p. What I suggested is NOT a cure but onlt to hopefully help her, please let us know how she is doing, my prayers are with you and your little girl!
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I had ear infections all of my life to the point of my ears bleeding. Finally a doctor noticed that I had a small hole in my eardrum that they said usually closes up on its own but for some reason it did not and the doctor watched it closely over a few months and I ended up having surgery on my ear to graf some skin over the hole and I have not had an ear infection since. (that was almost seventeen years ago now). I went to many doctors before I finally found the one that found the real problem to the infections.
    glwilde

Answer by glwilde at 1:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son has tubes. Since we had them put in, he has had a lot of drainage. He NEVER had an infection. We didn't even know he needed them until we had his hearing tested b/c he wasn't talking. I think the one has come out though, b/c we don't get drainage from that side anymore. The way the doc explained it to me was that the tubes allow the fluid to come out of the ear as opposed to staying in the ear canal and causing problems.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• what drops did they give? Our ENT gave us Ciprodex drops to use in ds ears, with the tubes.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 10:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We do see a pediatric ent. They just tell us its nothing. They told me just to leave it alone don't fush it out (they like freaked when i told them I was flushing her ears to get the stuff out.) I tried to leave it but it gets all over her face and in her hair. It's totally gross. They're not doing anyting to stop it or get the stuff out so I've been flushing it at least twice a week with warm water. I am switching her doctor. I'm letting a different dr. replace her tubes. she's scheduled to have surgery on her lip palate and ears in June. This time I'll ask more question about the ear tubes! She is also on Ciprodex drops.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2009