Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

disabled child and another on the way... having anxiety or panic attacks!

my daughter was born with a rare case of spina bifida... she dosent have a skull on over 50% of her brain(there is skin and hair).... she is 13 months and just had tissue expanders put in her head and back to get her ready for her reconstructive surgery... the day before she had that surgery done i found out that i was expecting again... since then almost every day 2-4 times a day i feel like i cant breathe.... it feels like i have something sitting on my chest and i have to breathe in real deep to catch my breath! .... does anyone know if this is an anxiety attack or panic attack?... what can i do to stop it?

Answer Question

Asked by KimberlyAnn85 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Tell your OB.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • i think those two kinds of attacks are both in the same actually. When your daughter has to go through something can you have some one with you that day, then night before, even that night to help you? Ask someone to be with you as much as you can. I'm sorry. Can you get genetic counseling to help with your new pregnancy and birth?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • First, anxiety and panic attacks are not the same. Secondly, you need to talk to your OB or primary doctor and get help. You are going through a lot right now and need some help. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know if there are any meds you can take while pregnant but your doctor would know. Do you have support system set up where if you need some alone time there is someone to help with your child? Make time for yourself, time to unwind. Find atleast one person that you can talk to when you start to have an attack, it helps alot.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • group hug1. Please talk with your doctor asap. 2. Search your town/city for support groups for parents who have children with special needs. Try a couple of labels, i.e., spina bifida, parent support, etc., on Google. Your daughter's doctor/specialist may have some suggestions as well. Or, you can try your health insurance for suggestions. 3.  You are not alone.   I wish you all well.


    Answer by jonosmama at 7:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
Please help me with my 2 year old!!

Next question overall (Money & Work)
car insurance