Would you ever adopt a homeless pitbull??

Knowing number one it was homeless, and number two its a pit bull?? (Pitbulls scare me!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pets

• well... it depends. I mean pitbulls can be pretty damn mean BUT if it was a mild-tempered one (if that's possible lol) then yeah probably....

i ♥ doggies!!!
    Emma1017

Answer by Emma1017 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• most states don't allow adoption of pitbulls so that should tell ppl something. No, I don't think I'd do something that dangerous. It is not worth the risk.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I love pitts!!! Really, its all about how a dog is raised. A dalmation can be as ferocious as a pitbull can if it were bred to fight too.
    There was a homeless pit hanging around my house a few months back. At first she growled at me, but I could tell she was starving- I could see her ribs and she was deathly skinny. I dont have much money, so I started feeding her white rice and vienna sausages I had in my kitchen. Within the 2 or 3 weeks I fed her, I noticed weight gain. And she was such a sweetheart!!!! She just needed some food and somebody to love. I finally posted on Craigslist if anybody could adopt her, and a nice lady did. Im glad there are people out there who can care for these dogs, as I could not keep her.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Deed, not breed. Not all pits are terrible. Any dog can be mean and aggressive. It depends on their owner. My brother has a pitbull and a 4 year old daughter, the the dog is great with my niece. She's just like any other dog. She has better manners than both of my dogs.. I wouldn't adopt one simply because I have 2 dogs already.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• In a heartbeat. Pitbulls get a bad rap but honestly they are the sweetest dogs ever. Just like ANY animal it is all in how you raise them. If you keep them on a chain in the backyard all the time of course it's not going to be happy, but raise it like any other indoor pet and it will be devoted forever.

There's a reason these dogs were used as "nannies" in the past and in the 1950s they were considered the "All American Dog." You are far more likely to be bitten by a poodle or a golden retriever than a pitbull.
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 6:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Pits are not necessarily bad animals. My problem with this would be that yes people raise them to be horrible at times, and with him being homeless you have no idea what kind of treatment this dog has had. They are also not easily re-trained, so if it was trained to be mean you have n idea how it will act from now on, if it is triggered or not by someone coming to your house. But if it was truly homeless and stil fairly young I might go ahead and do it, but go through some serious obedience training with him, and not trust any new dog around kids by itself (especialy one like this breed) untill you are completely sure about his training. If it were a puppy or adopted from someone you knew and trusted it would be another story. But be cvery cautious. They can be great dogs if given the right opportunity, just have terrible treatment and very horrible tendancies if taught to fight.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I own 2 pit bulls. They are great dogs! I have two children and both dogs are great with my kids. As with all dogs you have to be responsible with them and not allow them in a position that something bad could happen. but not just because they are pits. I was absolutly save pit bulls, as I would any animal. You should know by the character of the dog if he has been abused. best tips from me is do some research on the breed. Not just what the media puts out. Do some tests of your own, Is this dog good with other animals? a lot of pits are not if they are not nuetered or have not been socialized properly. Does he take food gently, if not work on that, is he food aggresive?? ( does he growl when you get near food when eating??)not a good sign but can be corrected. I would do this with any rescued dog, and all breeds could have these issues. pits are great!! we really need to prove that to everyone. Go For it!!
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Not until my kids are grown...They a pretty dogs but I do not trust them with my kids. Yes even the sweet ones.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• OMG...it's not dangerous unless he's showing signs of agression. Ihave 2 rescue pitbulls. I think theyre great dogs...people are not educated about them so they ASSUME that they are mean. Well, not all of them are. IF you do decide to keep him, PLEASE get him fixed if he's not already. This has a HUGE effect on their temperment. Good luck and you're doing a good thing. I love my doggies.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• as with ANY dog, i would have to see how the dog acted. i own a pit, she has a mean bark, but that's it. i definately wouldn't just turn my nose to the poor thing just becuase it's a pit. (lol..my 3 1/2 yr old daughter is climbing all over my pit right now. my pit has decided she wanted to play tug o war, so now she has the rope in her mouth trying to play w my kids..that sounds SOOOO dangerous to me..not..)
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2009