I WAS TOLD AS LONG AS NOT SPOTTING CRAMPING & STRETCHING PAINS ARE NORMAL, IS THIS TRUE?

THIS IS MY FIRST PREGNANCY & I AM FREAKING OUT A LITTLE BIT WITH THE SMALLEST THINGS! MY FIRST DR'S APPT ISN'T TIL THIS COMING THURS & IT FEELS LIKE YEARS AWAY!
I WAS ACTUALLY TOLD I PROLLY WOULDN'T HAV KIDS SO I REALLY AM DOING ALL I CAN TO MAKE THIS AS EASY FOR ME & THE BABY AS POSSIBLE! BTW ANY ANSWERS I GET I REALLY APPRECIATE!!!! THANKS!

peanutsamiracle

Asked by peanutsamiracle at 6:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A few questions. How far along are you? Is it true cramping? or just a stretching and pulling sensation (can be painful to)? And what caused you to think you couldnt have kids? (I ask this because depending on why you could be more prone to miscarriage and tend to pay more attention to the cramps and stretching)
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Absolutely true. Even some painless spotting is normal. Cramping and stretching will last thru most of your pregnancy. Blame your round ligament! Good luck and hang in there. How far along are you?
    MichelleDorton

Answer by MichelleDorton at 6:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It's true that there can be a lot of pain with pregnancy and most of it is normal. Early pregnancy can feel a lot like really bad PMS, and in later pregnancy ligament stretching can feel pretty painful too. What you are feeling is probably normal, but if you are worried go ahead and call the doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse first thing Monday. Also, like the first poster said, depending on what your medical history is that led you to believe you wouldn't have children you might want to ask specifically about that. In the mean time, try to take it easy and relax until you can speak to a nurse or your doctor. I wish you the best.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• HONESTLY I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR ALONG I AM...I WAS ON BIRTH CONTROL THERAPY FOR ENDOMETRIOSIS WHICH DURING YOU DON'T TAKE THE PLACEBOS JUST START A NEW PACK RIGHT AWAY. SO MY LAST PERIOD WAS SOMETIME IN '04?? THINGS DID CHANGE LATELY LIKE IN THE LAST YEAR, I ONLY HAD TO TAKE 2-3 PILLS ONE DAY FOR IT TO LAST 3-4 WEEKS!  I FIGURED WHAT THE DR HAD SAID WAS TRUE THAT I PRETTY MUCH ENDED UP DRY (FOR A LACK OF BETTER WORDS, NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE!). SO TO MAKE THIS AWFULLY LONG STORY SHORT I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR ALONG I AM, I HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS (STAGE 4) & WAS TOLD WOULD BE HARD TO HAV KIDS. & THE PAINS ARE MORE PRONOUNCED AT NIGHT/EARLY MORNING. I GUESS IT'S STRETCHING & PULLING, REALLY HARD FOR ME TO DESCRIBE SINCE WHEN I USED TO HAV MY MENSTRUAL CRAMPS THEY WERE SO HORRID THAT THIS ISN'T SO BAD BUT I'M JUST NOTICING MORE SINCE HAVEN'T FELT ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN LITERALLY YEARS!!! MAYBE I'M BEING PARANOID! THANKS
    peanutsamiracle

Answer by peanutsamiracle at 6:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Yes. "Round Ligament pain" (google that term to learn more about it) is a normal part of pregnancy, especially if it is your first pregnancy. Your uterus is being stretched along with other muscles that have never been stressed like this before. It does hurt, VERY badly. Especially when you cough or sneeze. It doesn't feel like a menstrual cramp necessarily but more like a pulling, soreness and the cramps you get from over-exercising. I'd call your doctor Monday to see what they said but it doesn't sound like an emergency.

If you have menstrual cramps and/or bleeding, I would call your doc now or go to the ER.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Round ligament pain is felt at different points in the pregnancy depending on the woman. I felt mine as early as just before my second trimester!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You should be fine then. Endo doesnt really affect a pregnancy much but more the ability to get pregnant. And if it is not as bad as your regular cramps then I wouldnt worry. I too got pregnant while on bc and it took them a while to figure out how far I am too. The stretching will mostly be on the sides of your belly, but if it starts to go where you feel your whole belly cramping up or in your back that doesnt go away with just tylenol and some rest then maybe put a call in to the Dr before your apt. But other wise just mention it to him at your apt. And congrats on the baby! You certainly cant argue that it wasnt ment to happen with so much stacked against you, GL!!!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009