fenugreek to boost milk supply

I started taking this 1220 mg 3x a day and after two days I notcied an increase in my milk and my son, Marco's (2 mos) fussiness. I stopped taking it and Marcos fussiness stopped but starts again with the introduction of formula. I did more research and found that I may be taking too much. Any thoughts? (ive tried pumping every 1.5 hrs, mothers milk tea, nursing every 2 hours, Reglan, and beer...eeww)

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• also

capsules
    (580-610 mg)

* 2-4 capsules, 3 times per day
    * 6-12 capsules (total) per day
    * ~1200-2400 mg, 3 times per day (3.5-7.3 grams/day)
    * German Commission E recommends a daily intake of 6 grams
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html
    his might help too!
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Gas or even loose stools can be a side effect of taking too much fenugreek.
    Nursing often and staying hydrated are really the best way to boost your supply. I would skip the pumping and just nurse more frequently instead.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I have taken fenugreek and it helped my supply and didn't seem to bother DD but maybe just try cutting back the amount and see if that helps.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• it might have made your flow too quick because of the extra amount of milk. Which in turn, would make your child gassy because he is gulping the milk and air to keep up with the flow! Either try to nurse more frequently or once your supply is up to were you want it, discontinue the fenugreek and nurse frequently and pump to keep your supply were you want it!
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You might be taking a bit too much. My dose was 3000 mg daily. BUT....be sure you really need it. A lot of moms take it when they don't need to. Only sign of a supply problem is not changing 6-8 dipes daily.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009