Making Colored Sand-anyone know how?

Has anyone ever made colored sand from sidewalk chalk & table salt? If so what measurements do you use? I'm helping with an art project making sand art with the kids involved in the summer reading program at our libary.

We'll be using 200 babyfood jars for this and I'd like to know ratios/measurements so I can tell the Kids' Libarian how much supplies to get.

redfairy41

Asked by redfairy41 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've put the table salt on paper plates and just rubbed the piece of chalk on it's side against the salt until it was the shade I needed it. That way it can be lighter or darker...whatever you want.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• To figur eout how much salt you'll need....fill one baby food jar with salt....dump it into a measuring cup to see how much is in there...and multiply by 200.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2009