4.5 year old nephew is not potty trained!

My nephew's who are four and a half and just turned six came to live with us. It's been 2 months and we've managed to get Darien to go pee on the potty most of the time.
Poo is a totally different matter though. He's done it twice, but it's a fight to get him to go. He knows when he's gone and brings us a diaper to change him.

I've tried stickers, rewards, every book out there on potty training etc
I've even told him no more diapers....but he needs to go to daycare, and he can't be without diapers there.

Help?

gothlingmom

Asked by gothlingmom at 6:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You might want to try "Poop Jail". It's a tough, no-nonsense approach that may or may not be appropriate for him but it's worth reading about...
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/7107108/Poop_Training_Information_HERE
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• talk to the doc....good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We took them to the doctors as soon as we got them. He didn't suggest anything
    gothlingmom

Answer by gothlingmom at 1:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Maybe it is a control thing with him. He knows that is one thing in his life he is in total control of. My oldest son is Autistic, and he was not fully potty trained until age 5. NOTHING would make him poop in the potty if he did not want to--- no amount of treats, stickers, rewards- nothing. I learned to back off and not push him or try to force the potty issue. If I tried to force him, he would refuse and poop his pants instead. When he did use the potty I made sure to praise him big time. My 2nd son (he had sensory issues) was potty trained at age 4--- he wanted underwear not pull ups- so we let him pick out big boy undies and that encouraged him to use the potty.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well, if the pediatrician didn't make any suggestions I think that it is up to you to find answers. At 4 a child has the vocabulary to understand instructions so start with baby steps you can spent the weekends at home exclusively potty training. Think about it like a where they are in potty training not their actual age. It sounds as if there have been a lot of changes in your nephews lives, so don't make potty training another bad experience for them. Give them time to adjust, to feel safe, stable and then tackle the potty training. Give them their time and their space, they will be potty trained in their own schedule and at their own peace, all we can do is be consistent with our reminders to use the potty and be understanding when accidents occur.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009