How does the Lutheran church differ from the Catholic church?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Lutheran church is the first reformation of the Catholic church (other reformations have taken place since then, forming other "reformed" denominations). Lutheranism is based off of Martin Luther's ideas about God and the Bible and how Catholosism was wrong about those things. There are 95 proclamations (The 95 Theses) by Martin Luther about how Catholosism is wrong and Lutheranism is based on those principles.

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/luther/web/ninetyfive.html
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• NovemberLove is correct, as I found out many years later. I grew up Catholic and when I was still pretty young, I asked my Mom this same question. Our close friends & neighbors were Lutheran. My Mom said they (Lutherans) don't think of Mary as highly as we (Catholics) do. She was right about that and maybe it is part of Martin Luther's Theses. Does anyone know if praying to Mary, deceased Saints and for the dearly departed was part of his Theses?
    christianmom55

Answer by christianmom55 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Also got a question if the OP doesn't mind. I would sort of fall under your question....Do Lutherans believe in the "Trinity" like Catholics or do they believe that God Jesus and the Holy Spirit are seperate? My hubby was raised Lutheran. He's Mormon now. He says he always believed that God Jesus and the Holy Spirit were seperate beings and doesn't remember being taught the idea of the Trinity. Did he just not listen, or do Lutherans believe that they are seperate like Mormons believe?
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We do believe in the trinity. Many of the core beliefs are the same just some of the Dogma is different, and I don't mean the movie. Many of Luther's exceptions to the Catholic church dealt with the church on Earth, meaning human created. He didn't believe in the buying of indulgences, the paying for masses to lessen the time in purgatory, um. . . the need for a priest to be you intermediary between you and God.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009