Do you think discrimination against women still exists? What should we do about it?

Ledbetter, a former supervisor at a Goodyear tire plant in Alabama, sued the company after discovering several months before her 1998 retirement that, for years, she was paid less than her male counterparts. A jury awarded Ledbetter more than $3 million. But the Supreme Court overturned that judgment in March 2007, ruling 5-4 that a 180-day statute of limitation for her to file a lawsuit had started from the first instance of discrimination, meaning that her suit about more than a decade of discrimination was untimely.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/411/work-to-overturn-ledbetter-vs-goodyear/

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think people should be careful what they wish for. I'd rather have the right to take maternity leave and not be "equal" than be totally "equal" and get fired if I want more than 2 weeks off after giving birth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Fast forward to Jan. 29, 2009. President Obama signed the Ledbetter Act, saying, "Ultimately, equal pay isn't just an economic issue for millions of Americans and their families. It's a question of who we are and whether we're truly living up to our fundamental ideals."

This is the ultimate conclusion of this case. the link has the whole story.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

So you don't believe is a decent amount of family leave? Do you think it's fair to pay a woman less for the same job simply because she's a woman?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• *in a decent amount*
    stacymomof2

• Um..many companies give men paternity leave for up to 6 months. There is still a glass ceiling when it comes to women in the workforce but I thought everyone knew that? A CEO of a medium sized company made more in 1 year than Jenna Jameson made in 5 years. Imagine that....

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• -laughs- I heard about this leave for fathers. The thing is.... Are the fathers actually doing their part or they just vacation while the woman still ends up doing all the work.
    Anonymous

• So you don't believe is a decent amount of family leave? Do you think it's fair to pay a woman less for the same job simply because she's a woman?

I think the instances where it actually happens, where all things are ABSOLUTELY equal between a male and female employee, experience, education, grades, ranking of school, other accomplishments, and the absolute only difference between them is one has a penis, are rarer than we could quantify. In reality, no two employees are the same. Two female employees are different. Two male employees are different, of COURSE a male and female employee will be different. This is a sounds good law to make people feel better, but totally impractical and not likely to ever be used successfully.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• "-laughs- I heard about this leave for fathers. The thing is.... Are the fathers actually doing their part or they just vacation while the woman still ends up doing all the work."

Hahah, thats funny.. I have to say I think the second option would be more likely.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Anon- I'm sorry you feel that way. We both took leave, he took three weeks (by choice) and he was up with the baby just as much as I was.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Is it "rare for a woman to do a comperable job to a male doing the same job? For instance, in a factory, production quotas must me met, people must be effectively managed. So though two supervisors would not be identical, their jobs would indeed be comperable. So you are saying the woman is automatically lesser?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009