Rocker Melissa Etheridge: “I Won’t Pay California Taxes”

If she cannot legally marry, your thoughts?I just hear about this recently, what if ALL the gay Americans withheld their taxes..do you think it would get their undivided then??

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-06/you-can-forget-my-taxes/

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• To be honest, I'm not sure if it strengthens her position to take this route. I get where she's coming from, but sometimes you have to work from within the system to get true change.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Hope she doesn't go grocery shopping, get gas, or clothes ect. because she will be paying taxes. And didn't an actor try that a while back, Wesley Snipes, pretty sure that bit him in the butt in the end. It's also a stupid idea b/c what if EVERYONE could do that.

You don't think abortion should be legal...don't pay taxes till it is!

Don't like marijuana being illegal...don't pay taxes till it is!

This could go on and on and on.  Stupid Hollywood type not thinking first!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Hi stacy,
    I was thinking the same thing, UNLESS she started a HUGE ground swell and they ALL didn;t pay......THAT is a protest right there@@ LOL
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Was Wesley doing it to protest something? I thought he just didn't do it....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• He just didn't pay them. But I don't think the courts take your protest into account! LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I'd like to see how she'll pull it off lol.

I disagree with her method and am not sure how it will help herself or anyone else. I think she's setting a poor example for other people. Not obeying the law by paying taxes because you don't like other laws is pretty immature. I think it's silly the amount of people that are SO angry at the government over the way the proposition for gay marriage turned out. The people voted! The majority said no! Be mad at your fellow man, the government didn't do anything lol. Since when should popular opinion be overthrown just because YOU (in this case Melissa Ethridge) disagree? That's not how it works here in this country.

I don't like the president and I'm pissed that even though I didn't vote for him, he was still elected. I think that pregnant women don't have enough rights in the workplace nd neither do women. I guess I'll wallow and not pay my taxes either lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Sounds like a way to get her name back in lights.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

I was just thinking, did she have an album coming out?? LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I say let her marriy, what reason to we have to deny her an unhappy marriage like many hetrosexuals have?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Good for her!
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 7:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2009