sleeping with blanket

I just got my 4 month old son one of those small blankets that has the teddy bear with it (not sure what they are called). I give it to him during his naps, and he loves it, except he likes to put it on his face. He falls asleep like that all the time, I think it helps him sleep. I watch him when he is like this and he never has trouble breathing, i mean its not suffocating him or anything just laying there. Is this bad?? Should I let him have it during bedtime, hes an awful sleeper at night. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes its bad because he can suffocate. If you have to question something like that its just not worth it ya know? Only let him have it when you are watching him. Otherwise there should be nothing in his crib...no blankets no toys.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my daughter is 15 months now. she got really attached to her blanket too. she used to grab it with her hand and hold it by her face and i thought the same thing as you. she would cry if she didnt have it so i just gave it to her and shes been fine. if you dont feel comfortable with him having then dont give it to him. i had also found a miniature one like her blanket and walmart and i got it for her and she loved that too.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 6:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my daughter has one of those.. but she hates it =\...

but if he falls asleep like that.. i would just remove the blanket. just to be safe..
    Anonymous

• When my son was a baby he was swaddled, he always managed to scoot down into the blanket so it was over his face, once he was old enough that he was no longer swaddled he covered his head with a blanket and still does. Let him fall asleep with it and take it out of the bed after he's asleep if you want.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think I'd tip-toe in and take it off of his face after he was asleep.

On a side note - if you think he is latching onto this as a lovey, you might want to buy another and rotate them in the wash. Then he won't throw a fit when you wash it (he won't even have to know) and you'll have a broken in spare if you lose one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My DD HAS to sleep with at least a sheet by her face. She actually pulls it up herself. But we co-sleep and I am right there with her. but even to take naps she needs it. If they are big enough to move around and move their head, I guess I don't see the big deal unless they are in the room by themself and you can't keep and eye on them.
    Anonymous

• My son is 10 months old he has a blankie that he has had since he was born big sissy bought it for him he loves his blankie it started out he had to be wrapped in it for him to go to sleep then he had to hold it and now he has to have it over his face I let him do it so he can fall asleep with out me having to sooth him to sleep BUT as soon as he is sleeping I move it away from his face but put it close by so he knows its there and trust me he knows weather or not its next to him

Haileysmommy107

Answer by Haileysmommy107 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• When your son can roll onto his tummy and back without any help or problems, you can give it too him at bed time. Until then no he should not have it at bed time because he can suffocate. This includes nap times too. If you aren't there every minute of his nap, it isn't a good thing.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My kids have had blankets since day one...everyone chooses something different for their child though. DS sometimes falls asleep with it over his face, I just move it when he's sleeping, no harm done.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my daughter always needed something on/over her face to fall asleap.. if he likes it just let him when he falls asleep remove it!
    lxlkendalllxl

Answer by lxlkendalllxl at 9:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009