My 17 month old son wont eat any fruit, except Bananas & Applesauce? Any ideas?

mama32177

Asked by mama32177 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is the same way. He's real iffy about whole fruits, so he eats Motts natural applesauce (which isn't a bad thing) but I try to give him some variety. He won't eat orange slices, grapes, bananas, strawberries, etc. He'll only eat them in puree' form, so that's what I do. Juice them in a juicer for that natural taste with all nutrients. Or I give him the fruit/veggie juice for kids. Just make sure he's getting his fair amount in any way possible.
    shaa0411

Answer by shaa0411 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• raisins, cubed pears ummm smoothies,, make it fun!
    slice apples with a drop of lemon juice in a baggie freeze
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 7:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• He doesn't need fruit if he eats vegetables. Bananas and applesauce are both good for him. My sister doesn't eat any fruit but bananas and is perfectly healthy. Keep offering very small amounts, but if he won't eat them I wonder if it isn't that he has a sensitivity to them. Meanwhile a nice variety of vegetables would be good.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Maybe try to mix different fruits into his regular foods... like oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, sandwiches (like PB sandwiches), yogurt, etc.
    newmommyhjm

Answer by newmommyhjm at 7:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• you could try some of the mixed applesauce-- they make strawberry and peach, and maybe a few others
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It sounds like he doesn't like the tartness of other fruit. I would try mixing some mild fruit like peaches with pured bananas or apple sauce. Just slowly sneak it in until he starts excepting the other flavors. Good luck. My son at this age wouldn't eat vegies so I put some baby food in his bottle of milk I know that he was a little old for a bottle but you do whatever works for you and your baby.

JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 8:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Try fruit juices. As long as he is getting some fruit throughout the day, he's doing good. I normally give my DD a fruit for lunch and one bottle of juice a day. She loves the juice and this way I know she is still getting her fruit even when she doesn't like the fruit she got for lunch. Try Gerber fruit juices. Or sugar free 100% juices for more nutrients. You can also try yogorts, flavored applesauces, of cutting up fruit in his cereal in the morning.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• How about the juice that has the frit and veggies mixed together my friend gave it to her kid and he loved it.Bananas and applesauce are go though keep up with that too.
    madisay

Answer by madisay at 9:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009