How long will I be in pain after having all 24 teeth pulled in ONE day and the dentures getting put on right after?

I had bad teeth that kept falling apart. So, I got put to sleep and had 24 teeth PLUS two impacted wisdom teeth removed. Before I woke up they stitched me with dissolvable stitches and placed my temporary dentures in my mouth. I've been "icing" my jaw and taking pain killer and Motrin. Also been taking anitbiotics and using warm salt water. I can clean my teeth once a day as well. I'm still in a lot of pain and I didn't know if that was normal. I still have some swelling on my jaws and the morning time is the worst for pain. I feel like someone beat me on my face while I was sleeping, so the pain is harder to get under control when you wake up like that. Has ANYONE had that many pulled in one day AND had dentures put on too and if so... how long should I expect to be taking pain killers? Thanks

starr95

Asked by starr95 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Health

• I know how u feel , i had all my teeth pulled in one day and dentures put in right away. i could only wear them for 4 days and woke up swollen and in pain ...had to take them out . well its been 7 months now and still they havent fixed my dentures right but it took me at least 3 months for the pain to go away . and as u eat harder food your gums get tougher but soar......very soar!! but it does get a lil easier . i guess if i had my dentures in i would be able to eat but thats not the case yet , im getting frustrated with my dentist i paid the $3005.00 for everything and now they want $1500.00 more for my permanent dentures which i thought i paid for already, and i cant afford them yet . but now i have pain in my lower jaw and i cant stand it anymore ....so i feel for you ,it will take some time but it will get better. and i ate eggs alot when i first got it done there soft and u can cook them a few different ways . gl!!!
    akaJW

Answer by akaJW at 11:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh dear. I am sorry that you are in so much pain. If you aren't able to control the pain even with the med and the steps you are taking you should call the dental surgeon for further instructions. I'd say 3-4 days up to a week, but it should be controllable.

Answer by Bmat at 7:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Well i feel so sorry for you I would think that they would wait until your gums heal before the put dentures in. But im not going to lie to you when I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed it up to 6 to 7 days to fell normal again i still had pain from time to time but not near as bad. Dont drink out of a straw or you will get dry socket, be careful what you eat too things can get inside of the holes and also cause dry socket. I wish you the best keep me posted on how your doing please. If you want!
    LiLMaMa691

Answer by LiLMaMa691 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I would think you would be in pain for a couple of weeks. That is a lot to have done at one time. Call the dentist and find out how long you should have pain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'd be calling the dentist and ask this question. Maybe they can give you a higher dose of painkiller or a stronger one if the current one is not helping very much, especially for the morning periods. With most dental surgeries, one can expect pain for about two weeks. But it should be tolerable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I really appreciate all the support I seem to be getting here. I'm going tomorrow to get my 2nd fitting. I'll ask the Doc there if she thinks I have bone fragments still that the surgeon needs to get. He said if there is any then he'll go back and get them out for free! Cool huh? lol. They are also putting soft lining in my dentures to help my comfort level. I'm definitly going to try to get stronger meds. I"m also doing jaw exercises to restrengthen my jaw. I thought I had a high tolerance for pain but dang! I found myself crying last night out of frustration, discouragment and pain. I ended up crying myself to sleep. My poor hubby, he felt helpless. :{ Today was a TEENY TINY bit better but I'm still weak from not being able to eat very much. I drank some chicken broth and ate ice cream though.
    starr95

Answer by starr95 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009