Why is it it when people talk about "paying their taxes" and you assume they mean income tax, and maybe property taxes, everybody brings up stuff like sales tax on clothes and gasoline etc.? Don't those taxes go to other things within your STATE, not federal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• To me, wasteful government spending is wasteful government spending. It doesn't matter at what level. I don't care if it's going to build a new city park for dogs (yes, we have one) or a high speed rail system between two cities nowhere near me (yep, that's in the works too) or research into how to make pig farms smell less bad (yep, that's out there too). Waste is waste. And I resent any money of mine that is taken from me to pay for this junk. I don't care what the government calls it when it takes the money... property tax, federal income tax, state income tax, sales tax, SSI tax, Medicare tax, and all the other hundreds of taxes and fees we pay every friggin day of our lives.
    Waste is waste. When nearly 50% of my income is taken and spent on junk, I have every right to be mad.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We don't have sales tax in Alaska.
    Anonymous

• or Delaware.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• But I understand where the OP is coming from lol. Once I bought a home and my husband got his career where we pay several thousand in property tax, over $13,000 in federal tax, and over $130 per month school tax......measly sales tax, road tolls and town taxes from my paycheck are NOTHIN'!  When I talk about "my taxes" I mean the BIG ones that take our earnings and alter our way of live when we have, in actuality, EARNED a much higher way of living.  I don't know about everyone else though.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Well, I certainly don't see where the money in our state is going - and we have both state and sales taxes, county taxes, taxes to live, taxes to die, etc., etc., etc.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think gas and fuel taxes are federal and state, as is tax for your telephone, Satellight, etc. Property taxes and some others are state. Taxes, taxes everywhere, and nary a dime to pay.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• One could also argue that depending on how much federal funding your state receives for certain programs that none of that money ever really leaves your state.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We don't have a state sales tax here in Oregon. We do pay 9% state income tax and high property taxes along with all those little hidden ones. When I say "taxes" I am usually referring to the income taxes. I don't really begrudge the high property tax. Some of it goes to the schools and I have a special needs child that is getting everything he needs. I would rather have a sales tax. The income tax is awful. They are picky about deductions and count any federal refund you get as income..meaning they get to tax those dollars twice!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Or, better yet, that some states are on 'welfare' because they end up paying in far less in federal tax money then they receive in federal funding.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We are so overtaxed--it adds up to over 50% of one's salary....and yet Washington thinks we need to pay even more and for what??? It is sad......
    Anonymous