Tough times how to make ends meet.

How much can you cut back or where are you willing to cut back? It is hitting us, and I stop and think that tv, internet are rather cheap forms on entertainment and I would like to keep the phone, can't cut the other living payments mortgage, heat, hydro. How else can it be done? Are there any frugal living categories here?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 8:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Try to cut back on everything; don't eat out or order in; use whatever food you have in the house to make a meal; don't buy coffee from DD or Starbucks; make a pot at home. Go to walmart for clothes for you and the kids. My husband was laid off in February and we really have to make every single dollar stretch. I will only spend $ on food, bills and whatever my son needs for school. Everything else has to be put on hold. I use coupons at the supermarket; tons of them. I use as many as I can get my hands on and I carry them with me so that I can use them at other places too. Go to the dollar store and pick stuff up, that is the only place I go to get all my paper products and laundry detergent.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• cupons for shopping, clearance for clothes & toys, eat in
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• www.uanditrade.com ....it will save you money on your kids clothes and stuff.... and also to save money...if you don't already save your two liter bottles and your soda cans and your beer bottles and water bottles start because you can take them to a recycling center and get money back....also thedollar tree has a lot of stuff...check one out in your area....and garage sales are always a good way for money...i've also been selling my old jewelry.....
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Economise. Turn off the lights when you leave a room. Cut your shower time. Unplug all electronics if you are not using them. Buy in bulk for things that you use regularly. Cook meals at home instead of eating out (most home cooked meals cost about a dollar a person). Make a grocery shopping list of things your need and stick to it, look for coupon for the things you need or buy generic. If you can get anything free that you will need then take it. Doing all of these things will cut your bills in half or more. mommy492006 and mommymeg03 are right too Don't be afraid of the dollar store I have friends that have never been to the dollar store because they don't want to be seen in one. The ones by my house have lots of things. I buy my cleaning supplies and spices there, they are awesome. Craigslist.org has lots of things that people are wanting to get rid of.

JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 9:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• with summer coming up, you can grow your own veggies which will help save money. Cut out extras in your grocery bill helps. If you have cell phones, cut back to pre-paid, so you are only paying for what you use, it also helps you cut back on how much you talk on it. Start using cheaper products. Coupons. Cut back on fun time by finding free ways to have fun. Otherwise if these ideas still dont' help, you will probably have to cut television and/or internet.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• although SO and I had our tv cut. It was fine for us. We realized how much we really didn't need it, and when we wanted to relax, we would rent a movie or watch one we already had or borrowed from family and/or friends.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You can order coupons from couponmaster.com and in the economic grocery stores, they have a "Bulk" section for most foods. I shop at WinCo Foods. I get 1 lb of cat Food for 0.81 cents, 1 lb. of chocolate chips for 0.91cents; I make chocolate chips at home instead of buying a bag of oreos. They have pastas, cereal, rice, all kinds of stuff in the bulk section, Anything that is dry food is there.

You just scoop what you want in a plastic bag, mark the bag with the SKU# that is on the big can.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• well most people will tell you what they are buying it for before you actually sell it... i can put you directly in touch with a woman if you like
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Try to spend less than $350 per month for food and disposable items covering paper goods, cleaning supplies and personal care items. A freezer is a necessity. Devote a few days a month to cooking all the family meals then store 13 to 17 meals in the freezer each time. To save some serious money, you’ll have to start with a plan and a system that will involve developing a budget, applying a lot of resourcefulness, collecting coupons, creating a grocery list, checking and re-checking the list before going out to buy anything. You will also need to plan your menus in advance, take careful inventory of what you have in your home, and do some product and pricing research to see which items are priced best.

CandlesbyMiaBel

Answer by CandlesbyMiaBel at 12:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I check out DVDs from a library instead of renting movies. But make sure they're returned
    on time or you'll pay an overdue charge.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 10:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009