Any suggestion for good learning toys?

I am going to buy some toys for my daughter for Easter and am hoping to get some that she can learn from. She turned 3 in Dec. and I would like for her to start recognizing letters 7 numbers. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Quizzard the learning Wizzard and Tellebook
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Read to her. Get some little books with numbers and such and read:-)

Also, so many kids struggle in math because they haven't a feel for the sense of numbers. They learn what a 3 looks like or a 9 but they are clueless to what that really means. So count objects WITHOUT the symbols---like "lets count three checkers" or whatever. That is why so many kids hit third grade and can't multiply because they have never got the sense of what a number means--not just what it looks like. I hope that makes sense. It is like instead of teaching them the "name" of letters, you teach them the beginning sounds. That isn't as important--in my mind--as the sense of numbers:-)
    I made up a game with mine when they were little. I had some colorful glass drops (from another game). They would roll the dice--count the dots and get that many "horses' to put into their yarn corral. If they rolled "snake eyes" their herd got loose and they
    Anonymous

• cont----and they started over. This not only taught them the sense of the number but how to start putting number together---2 and 3 meant they got 5 horses. I started this when the youngest was two---he watched a lot:-) It is those types of games that help a kid get the sense for numbers:-)
    Anonymous

• We started with one die before we moved on to using two:-) Also--a cake pan full of sand is great to practice "writing" in:-) If you get one with a lid, then it is easier to store--the sand can be found at most hobby stores. Timberdoodle.com is one of my favorite "toy" sites/catalogs.
    Also with summer--you can count bugs:-) Or practice spotting "letters" when you go to the store or out and about--or even in the house. Go on a letter hunt:-)
    They can learn counting in so many ways--sorting laundry and counting their stuff. Cooking--how many do we need? There is a cute game--I forget the name--but it has little apples in the tree that you spin for and pick that many off---it has been a few years:-) But I know it is still sold in stores:-)
    Anonymous

• A good set of building blocks--it helps teach them spatial awareness:-) Look for toys that make them think and do---not just sit and push buttons:-/ Puzzles are great!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Wooden blocks with letters on them are good because you can count them, build them and practice letters. Books for letters, small toys for counting, letter and number refrigerator magnets- the plain old fashioned ones, I got my nephew the Leap Frog magnet letter and 3 letter word thing thinking it was so cool, it was not, he was 5 and it frustrated him he just used the letter magnets without the board they go in!
    I agree with the earlier post about teaching what a number means, not just what it looks like and that can be "taught" all day, when your DD has crackers for snack you can count them, when she colors she can count crayons, etc...
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Leap Frog dvds and toys are wonderful! My daughter is 2 and she knows her letters and the sounds they make.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009