I think I'm gonna try CIO tonight with my 8 mo

How long do they normally cry the first night and how often should I check on him? I know they say not to pick him up but he will NOT calm down if I don't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FIrst off, CIO doesn't always work for every baby. My doc said to try it for three nights, if it doesn't take then it's not worth it.

Second, DO NOT JUST LEAVE YOUR BABY IN THE ROOM TO CRY. You have to set up a tiered timing system. First calm your baby lay him down and say good night. Leave. IF he starts crying wait two minutes. Then go in and calm him for 30 seconds. Then leave. Wait 3 minutes. Go in and calm him. Wait four minutes. Go in and calm him. Wait 5 minutes. go in and calm him. Once you hit 5 minutes (if you do) then do not exceed it. Continue to go in every 5 minutes until your baby falls asleep. Do not leave your baby to cry for more than 5 minutes.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We use Dr Ferbers technique for bedtime. Baby cries for ten minutes and at the end of ten minutes if he is still crying we go in and snuggle and soothe him for 5 minutes. When he is crying I am peakin gin on him to make sure its not something environmental that is making him cry (his paci is lodged in between his neck and ear or something) I can honestly say he usually doesnt cry more than 5 minutes. My best advice is to watch the clock while he is crying. When I first started I realized that 1 solid minute of crying FELT like 10 minutes. Watching the clock will help time be more real for you. Once you get through the first nigth the rest is cake
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Honestly there are so many sleep methods and CIO methods that maybe you should put off starting it until you've researched it better. Head into it with a clear plan and stick to it. That's my best advice!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Heh heh heh. Been there done that...it failed miserably. We tried it for a week. Never more than ten minutes of crying because if they're not down by ten minutes they're not GOING to go down. DO NOT let your baby cry for hours.

Google "cry it out" and "Harvard." The research they did might just convince you that it would be better for you to never sleep again. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We have been letting my 8 month old CIO this past week. This is the second time we have done it. The first time we went to check on him every 10 minutes... which only made him more mad. We tried a couple of days and gave up. But then when he started getting up again every hour at night we tried again... and this time it has gone better. We don't go in and check on him though (I check on him after he's asleep to make sure he's not in a weird position) The longest night is the first night and he cried about 30 mins and still woke up every hour. Last night after a week (each night gets better less crying and less waking) he got up just once and cried only a couple of minutes.
    I don't go to him until 5 am if he crys... at that point I will go to him and breastfeed if he wakes and then he usually goes back to sleep
    CIO is one of the HARDEST things to do and only works if you are willing to stick with it...
    Good luck!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Also... their is a differnce between CIO and scream until they pass out. Make sure you listen to your baby cry and listen for a change. If they get too worked up or scared you need to go in. And don't let them cry too long... an hour is too long and I have heard of people leaving the baby to cry for hours which is just mean!
    With my son he would cry hard for only a couple of minutes and then it turns more into a fussy I'm tired cry and we know he is going to sleep. If he crys hard for more than 5 mins I know that he isn't planning on going to sleep. You have to learn your baby and what the cry means.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• ok.. 5 minutes isnt going to do u no good... they are going to come to think hey.. every few minutes they return.. that soo defeats the purpose.. my baby is almost 4 months slept in her own room own crib at 4 weeks old CIO never... she never cried when i layed her down.. i think cause i moved her over so soon shes more independent then a very needy child. she also sleeps from 9pm till 7am she is very smart and happy baby too...so i think at least 30 minutes for CIO
    Anonymous