Spain may open torture probe of six Bush officials, what do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090328/wl_nm/us_spain_usa_torture_1

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's about time.

I firmly believe that torture makes us no better than barbaric countries that do it all the time. I'm disgusted by it all not to mention it goes against the GC.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Agreed JackalsWife I also think it makes us (Americans) look bad because WE aren't the ones doing it! We should NOT allow OUR government to act in this fashion with free reign and NO consequences
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It's about time! You guys pretty much summed it up for me.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• while i understand people don't want to look like " the bad guys".. these other people do HORRIBLE things to their american captives...i think we need to let them know we are serious... and not just slap them on the wrist and hold their hands thru their punishment
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• juliansmommy
    HUNDREDS were detained for YEARS then released with NO charges....so NO most of the ones they tortured DIDNT do those things. Also, the reason for the torture was supposed to be to get information from them...it was ineffective to say the least, there has only been ONE instance where info from a torture was used by the Bush administartion...and it was tHE ONLY SOURCE that said Iraq had WMD's....and it was FALSE.....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• The world is not all rainbows and teddy bears. Do you really think you know everything about the military? There have been many more attacks on US soil that were foiled because of GWB and his tatics. Please, until you know what you are speaking of do not speak. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• We are, indeed, warriors. We train to kill our enemies. We are engaged in combat, we must pursue the enemy relentlessly, and we must be violent at times. What sets us apart from our enemies in this fight, however, is how we behave. In everything we do, we must observe the standards and values that dictate that we treat noncombatants and detainees with dignity and respect. While we are warriors, we are also all human beings. Stress caused by lengthy deployments and combat is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign that we are human. If you feel such stress, do not hesitate to talk to your chain of command, your chaplain, or a medical expert.

This is an except from a letter from Gen . Patraeus
    http://dallaspeacecenter.org/?q=node/2005
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

ACTUALLY, the wtc was attacked in 1993, so do you give credit to Bill Clinton for "keeping us safe" for the remainder of his presidency? and do NOT tell me NOT to speak about this , I have that right..and I am not a coward hiding behind my ANON button

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• another quote from the General

He reinforced the point in a recent letter to U.S. military advisers working with Iraqi units, stating that: "Iraqi forces must distances themselves from the abusive practices of the former regime. . . . It is very important that we never turn a 'blind eye' to abuses, thinking that what Iraqis do with their own detainees is 'Iraqi business.' "

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• ACTUALLY, the wtc was attacked in 1993, so do you give credit to Bill Clinton for "keeping us safe" for the remainder of his presidency? and do NOT tell me NOT to speak about this , I have that right..and I am not a coward hiding behind my ANON button

Do not speak about topics you know nothing about is my point.
    Anonymous