How many of you tell your grown kids(above 21)what to do?

I mean,is this a new fad?
I am not a power freak because if I am in power and something goes wrong,it will be my fault!!!!
Is it proper to try to tell them what to do now?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 9:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Im expecting my first child, but I think that when your child gets that old, you shouldn't tell them what to do but more like give them advice on what you think they should do and if they follow it or not its all on them because now they're old enough to take responsibility for their actions not the parents.
    youngmom3525

Answer by youngmom3525 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it's hard for them to let go. I moved out at 18 and when me my husband and son moved back in my mom told me one day how hard it is not to butt in and tell us what to do bc we are grown but the instinct is still there. I however enjoy my parents opinions but I am glad they respect that we are grown and don't try to force them upon us.
    BTW before someone assumes we live here for any reason it's because we are moving out of state to buy our first house and until the job opening become available it's a great way for us to save money and my parents are moving too so they want us to hurry up and save so we can all get out of here.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Expecting your first is fun and I will give you one piece of advice that is very off topic:Treasure every cry,every dirty diaper,every pukey shirt and every snotty nose.Enjoy the toy trucks and easy bake ovens all over the floor.Make every bath playtime and every playtime a team effort.When you are my age,you will long to have puke or baby poo running down your elbow and bottles to wash and baths to give.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• theheartbaby,I am from the south.Lots of families live together and it is not a money thing.You had no reason to explain that.That is your business.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Thank you for that. I'm from south florida and it's common here and I never thought anything about it until I responded to a question and got internet attacked from people. I feel I have to guard everything I say on here. So thankyou for understanding...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• laranadtony...that is such a great answer and very well said!
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 3:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have a 22yr old who always hasn't made the best choices, I let him know what I feel he should do but I he's an adult so he can either follow my advise or not.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• When my oldest daughter traipsed around the country and told us various things I would make suggestions and then leave it be. She made her own decisions no matter what I suggested so telling her what to do made no sense.
    She now lives with us with her newborn daughter and I still make suggestions, and she also asks me for my opinion or help, but the only time I tell her what to do is when we need help with the housework. She gave birth 2 months ago, has no job, sits on her butt ALL day, and does not bathe herself or her baby until I push her to do it. She is not depressed because she texts and emails her friends all the time and she walks to the mall once a week. She orders her younger sisters around and gets sarcastic with us so we have had to lay down the law now and then. We finally put our foot down and told her she HAS to get a job, even if it is only part time.
    Hope this helped with your question.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009