how long do u swaddle?

ok im due with our second april 4th. and im having a bit of a mommy brain. how long do u swaddle for?just at bed/naptime? i know this may sound dumb but for the life of me i cant remember. the last baby i swaddled was our ds 3 years ago.

asistartomosh

Asked by asistartomosh at 10:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swaddled my newborn for bed and naps or when she was being held. Anything to make her feel secure. You'll know when she doesn't want to get swaddled anymore when she starts to kick the blanket off her.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My son is a month old and he's only been swaddled once in his life for about 10 minutes. He was around week old at that point. He doesn't like it. I've never swaddled any of my kids beyond a couple of weeks. I guess I just don't like to. Nothing says you have to and there is no way to know if baby will like it or not.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think you go with whatever feels right to you; you'll know if your baby is happy. My twins could not sleep at all without being swaddled when they were infants. We swaddled them, arms and all, until they started rolling. We continued to do it with their arms out after that, and now at 19 months we still lay out their blankets each night and they go lay down and wrap themselves!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Your baby will let you know. My first two hated it from day one and the third I swaddled until he was to big for the blankies to wrap around him, which was not very long 3months or so. You will know exactly what to do when your baby gets here. good luck
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 10:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Both of my daughters loved it and I had to wean them from it at around 6 months. I got the fancy swaddle blankets with velcro, and with the second I had the Miracle Blanket (which I highly recommend -- available on-line). I started weaning them from it when they started breaking out of it all the time or turning onto their tummies. They both slept really well in their cribs (with my first we couldn't get her to sleep there until we learned she wanted to be swaddled... at 8 weeks old!) If you don't want to co-sleep this is a necessity. (Well, all babies are different, but it sure was for ours).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my daughter liked being swaddled til she was about 5 months, my son hates it with a passion so we don't do it.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My son loved being swaddled and needed to be until he was 5 months old. We only did at bed time though... he was ok for naps.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm trying to remember too. I don't remember about during the day and such, but we ALWAYS swaddled him to go to bed. I did it until he was 4 months old. I believe that's the reason he slept all night from 1 month old on.

I bought the swaddling blankets with the fasteners at the store. They can't wiggle thier way free of those most of the time!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• we still swaddle my son. he'll be 5 months old in 4 days. we only do it at bedtime though. when I lay him down for a nap I just cover him with a blanket. I dont think it matters how long you do it. I'm trying to stop doing it because I dont want him to think he HAS to be swaddled in order to sleep through the night.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2009