What is the difference between athiest and agnostic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Atheists don't believe there are any gods and Agnostics aren't sure one way or the other.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Atheist: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Agnostic: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings. Definitions from Dictionary.com

My understanding is atheists don't believe in God/Goddess/gods and agnostics doubt or question the existence of God/Goddess/gods and essentially may not care either way, or may be seeking an ultimate answer, just my understandingsof the words, though.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Agnostic sit on the fence...atheist jump it.
    Anonymous

• atheists simply don't believe or deny the existence of a higher power

agnostics believe such knowledge of the existence of a higher power is unattainable by humans and admit there could or could not be a higher power but we as humans will never really know. And they can weigh in on either side of the issue (ie agnostic theist or agnostic atheist--which is what I am) or just not really care at all.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• atheist don't believe in a high power, agnostics acknowlage there is but are on the fence about religion. Or atleast thats what an agnostic told me.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Athiests don't believe in God

Agnostic literally means "without knowledge" so they basically just don't know if there is a God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Atheist: I am sure there is no god.
    Agnostic: There is no way to know if there is a god or not.
    Agnostic atheist: I don't know if there is a god or not, but I don't believe there is.
    Agnostic theist: I don't know if there is a god or not, but I choose to believe in one.
    Theist: I am sure there is a god.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Spelling of the word.
    Anonymous

• No, anonymous 10:27. Agnostics don't reject the possibility of a god/gods, while atheists consider the existence of any god/gods to be an impossibility.

Anonymous

• I would like to say that as a Christian who understands that a lot of people have had bad examples of churchgoers and believers in their lives, or who just find themselves of another mindset, I have some level of respect for agnostics. I can understand not knowing what to believe. Everyone is so sure they're right (me included) and every doctrine you read about is a matter of interpretation with scriptures to back up their ideas. I am glad the Holy Spirit just comes to whom He will and we don't have to use human intellect to figure it all out.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 9:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009