Is letting your child watch t.v to fall asleep really that bad???

My 4 year old son won't go to bed unless he falls asleep to his t.v in his room- not bad cartoons but the noggin channel, he is always sleeping by 9:00 and i usually lay him down at about 7:30-8 .....do you think this affects his behavior?

tonipaffel

Asked by tonipaffel at 10:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's how my son, who's 6 falls asleep. I put in a Disney DVD and he is usually out within 5 minutes.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Personally I would not even have a tv in my childrens rooms, they can watch a movie in the living room before they go to bed. They need to learn how to sleep on their own without the tv on in the background, its a bad habit that followed me for years, I finally in the last couple years was able to break that habit. Drove my dh nuts
    Anonymous

• I personally think it's kinda bad. My DD's friend wanted to stay the night here (they are 7) and she ended up calling her mom wanting to go home at 11:00 at night because DD doesn't have a TV in her room and she said that's the only way she can go to sleep. Her mom told me this happens EVERY time she tries to stay somewhere. That's the only problem I see is having them rely on it. Also, TV can be disruptive to sleep, with the flashing lights and whatnot. If it's noise, maybe try a radio. I always had a radio on at night growing up and still do to this day most nights!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Well my son doesn't have cable in his room it's strickly DVD's and like I said 5 minutes and he's out. I put him in bed, start a movie, go put on my pj's and wash my face and then turn off his tv. It works for us but to each their own. You have to do what you are comforable with.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Then i must be a horrible mommy...lmaoffffffffffff my daughter and sons room have a flat screen lcd in there room with cable and yes she does fall asleep with the tv on.thats what works for us.Do what works for you.Dont feel guilty..I sure dont....i read books with her pray b4 sleeping..watch noggin or a dvd what ever her little heart desires.until she falls asleep.then i turn it off.Ud be surprised how many moms have this method.Soooooooooo
    Anonymous

• Only you know if it affects his behavior, but I don't think it's good to allow a child to become so dependent on a certain thing to fall asleep, especially TV.
    Anonymous

• *continued from 12:44

...It might make them develop sleep problems/disorders later on.
    Anonymous

• i would never do it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Sleeping disorders are a serious problem for many adults, some of them started with a permissive habit of falling asleep with the TV on.

It is very important to develop healthy sleeping habits early on life. Only you can determinate if falling asleep watching TV is healthy or not for your children. Before you make that determination I would suggest you to contact a sleep disorder clinic so they (the experts) in the subject can be more objective and informed than most of us in this website.

Research indicates that insomnia and sleeping pills are a legacy of the TV on generation, our brains need to be trained to unplug so we can process what went on in our day. Do your homework, then draw your own conclusions because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anybody say, they are your children and nobody knows better than you what is best for them. Just make informed decisions, that's all.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My husband and I dont have a tv in his room or our room. I dont think it is a good habit to start, to much tv is not a good thing, we actually limit our son's tv time(he is almost 3 years) to an hour or less a day.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009