Prayer, Fasting or both? Is it God's Will for us to do both at the same time or is prayer alone honored equally?

Have you prayed and fasted before? How was your experience/what was it like?

SugaB28

Asked by SugaB28 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do Pray but I don't fast, when looking into this I found that Fasting was not mentioned specifically in God’s law through Moses. But the Law did command that on the Day of Atonement the Israelites “afflict” themselves, which is understood to mean fasting. (Lev. 23:27; Num. 29:7; see also Leviticus 16:29-31, Jerusalem Bible; compare Psalm 35:13; Isaiah 58:3, 5.) Though this was the only public fast required by the Mosaic law, the Israelites observed many others. They fasted publicly on anniversaries of national disasters and during times of drought, scarcity of crops, pestilence and war.—Zech. 7:5; 8:19.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Thank you lisarose.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• as for Christians,Jesus began his counsel about abstinence from food by saying: “When you are fasting, stop becoming sad-faced like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting.” Matt. 6:16a.
    But Jesus never commanded his disciples to fast, and they were known as not doing so on any regular basis. (Matt. 9:14, 15) On the other hand, the Son of God did not direct his followers to avoid the practice altogether. The expression, “when you are fasting,” indicates that some of his disciples would fast on special occasions. Acts 13:2, 3; 14:23.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Jesus also mentioned that there are some things that can only be accomplished through fasting & prayer.

And there are places that record the disciples fasting afte Jesus ascended back to heaven.

Fasting isn't a command, but it is powerful thing if we choose to do it. Prayer and Fastinf is usually mentioned together. Prayer is usually what people do while they fast- instead of eating they use that time to be with God.

John the Baptist's disciples routinely fasted according to Jewish custom, but Jesus and His disciples did not. However, Jesus said His disciples would mourn and fast after He had left them (Matthew 9:14-15; Mark 2:18-20; Luke 5:33-35). The early Christians practiced fasting at least occasionally (Acts 13:3, 14:23, 2 Corinthians 6:5, 11:27).
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• When Jesus took Peter, John and James up to the mount of transfiguration, a man brought his demon possessed son to the rest of the disciples, but they could not cast out the demon. Jesus said that this kind of demon only comes out by prayer and fasting.

Jon Courson taught on this passage saying that we all need a "lifestyle" of prayer and fasting, because we don't know when some incident will be brought to us that would require fasting. I do fast myself for certain things. It is a time to deny your flesh and pursue God. To put your spiritual needs above your physical needs. You don't "have to" do it. But it is a spiritual discipline that can certainly add power to your prayer life.

Right now we have a girl in our youth group whose dad died a few years back, and now her mom has leukemia. We are fasting for her to get a bone marrow transplant (any healing). But ultimately it is God's will.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I also wanted to add that it is helpful if you have a besetting sin (lust, anger, etc.) because it teaches you to deny your natural desires and appetites, for the Lord.

And in times of spiritual warfare in our lives and in the lives of others.

At our church we participate with other churches around the world in a week of prayer and fasting. Where we meet at church and through a satelite connection we pray together with the other churches every night. It is so amazing.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Fasting is a powerful weapon! It teaches us to bring our bodies under submission. It's totally submitting yourself to His will by putting aside the needs of the flesh. It clears the mind, and presents the body as a clean, living sacrifice before the LORD.

* DISCLAIMER: speak with your physician before attempting a fast.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• * DISCLAIMER: speak with your physician before attempting a fast.

Definately. I would love to fast but my doctor will not allow it. My blood pressure runs very low to start with and I have to carefully monitor what I eat to keep my blood pressure up otherwise I cannot move from the dizziness and I pass out. I am also underweight for my height (that's genetic, I have my grandma's build and she was a stick all her life) and fasting can cause more health problems. So my doctor will not allow me to fast (good thing I talked to him before attempting to fast).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Wow, I learned so much! I feel so blessed and empowered. I will begin in prayer and share with God why I'm looking to do this. I'll await His answer and seek out how long I should fast. thank you
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009