Dd keeps asking....

Ok so dd got tubes a year ago and hasnt had any hearing problems but here lately when I talk to her she keeps asking what did you say? I know her ears are clean so what could be going on? I take her to the ent monday should I have them test her hearing?? Sorry this is my first time dealing with tubes and my aunt said they should have already tested her hearing but they didnt

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 10:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would definitely have her hearing tested. If there is a problem, the earlier they find it, the sooner they can work to correct it or compensate for it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My son had tons of ear infections, but he didn't get tubes. His hearing tests fine, but he has an auditory delay. Does she say "What?" and then answer your qestion before you even repeat yourself? It may be something to ask the ent about.
    Anonymous

• No she will just ask what did you say mommy or whoever was talking to I'm so confused because she's never had any problems and now all of a sudden shes asking what did you say 2 or more times
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Yes, I would tell the ENT what is going on and ask for a hearing test.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• She's distracted. Make sure you have her full attention before you speak to her.

Bring it up to the ENT as well, and I agree with having a problem which required tubes, I would have thought her hearing would have been checked already. But since this is a newer problem, she wasn't doing it before, I'm thinking either the tubes are blocked or she's just distracted.

Think back...before when she answered with no problems...was she looking at you when you spoke to her? Was she watching your LIPS instead of looking at your eyes as you spoke? That would be something else to consider.

I'm betting on distracted, though. (my 5 year old is like that)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'd also go get her hearing tested but at any age a child can develop selective hearing. You know where they can't seem to hear get your feet off the couch but can hear the icecream truck from 4 blocks over above the tv. TiccledBlue may be right your just not as interesting as the things going opn aorund her. But it still wouldn't be a bad thing to get her tested.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009