cloth vs. disposable costs

So I visited this website, www.diaperdecisions.com, because I am still undecided about cloth diapering or sticking with disposables. I am most curious about the actual savings. I thought this site would give me good info, but the more I look at it the more inaccurate it seems. They have way overblown the cost of disposables. The way I figure it it is about the same to use cloth or disposable, according to their cost of cloth and my real calculations for disposables.

For those that use disposables, how much are you really spending a month?

I think we have never spent more than $50 a month.

And for the cloth diapering moms, how much has it cost you? Please include the cost of washing and drying the loads as well.

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 10:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont have a washer/dryer, so using cloth would be very inconvienent for me. I pay about $5.75 a pkg for about 50 diapers. I end up spending maybe $20-30 a month? It works for me!!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I just switched to parents choice, 13$ for a big pack, I can buy two a month, so 26$ a month. 5 dollars on a three pack of wipes.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I just spent $29.99 on a big package of Luvs from BJ's Wholesale Club (like Sam's Club for those who might not be familiar) That will get me through a month for my toddler.

I think the biggest argument for cloth diapers is that you buy them once and they last. BUT...I'm not sure they're a once size fits all? The cloth diapering moms also say that it's better for the environment because disposables head to the landfill.

However...do they not need special cleaning and sanitizing so you use more energy getting the water hot enough for that? And if they use a service, then there are chemicals (and the cost) and either way there is more detergent into the sewer system, etc.

I don't know...sounds like a "wash" to me. rofl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• True, cloth diapers save on money and filling our landfills, BUT they are very time consuming if you wash them yourself. If you use a diaper cleaning service then your costs will be just as much as buying disposables. So the only bonus is saving our earth from non-biodegradeable products, which is a worthy cause indeed.
    It can be an inconvenience because you will deal with more leakage, more wet clothing and sheets, washing them constantly and using just the right detergent agent that will not aggravate baby's sensitive skin.
    My mother used cloth for all 5 of her children, I remember helping with my younger brothers, and that is why I chose disposables.
    There are pros and cons for both sides so it is a matter of a personal choice. I would say try the cloth first and if it doesn't work out then the cloth diapers can be used as spit-up rags.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• $50 a month?

for under $250 with taxes (and free shipping) I just got a dozen Fuzzy Bunz one size diapers that will fit my son from 7 to 35 lbs. so for what you pay for eight - nine months you could be all set with cloth diapers birth through potty training, and you'd have enough dipes to get by doing a load every 2-3 days
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• autodidact: I know the cost to buy the diapers, but what about the cost of doing the laundry? According to the website I mentioned they put the cost of cloth diapering at about $1400 in all...well for two years of disposables it is only a hundred or two more than that. It isn't the diapers themselves that are the great cost, it would be the care of them that would add to the electric and water and maybe gas bill....that is the info I am looking for, if anyone knows...the total cost, including cost of diapers, covers (if needed) and laundry.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009