How do I speak to my daughter about a boy exposing himself to her...? What about talking about it to the childs' mom?

An almost 5 year old boy-school- friend of my 4 yr. old daughter exposed himself to her while they we playing together after school...His mom & I were chatting nearby, they were on the side of the school.....in a cul-de-sac ....she did not tell me anything about it that day. I had seen him another time, in front of his mom, lean up against my daughter and was pulling his pants down in the front.....the kids chuckled and said he had to pee....The mom was mortified....and yelled at him and apologized to us...I was freaked out a little b/c they are so young.. Should I tell the mom so she can speak with him about it....The kids will not really see each other after this school year....I of course will not let them out of my sight if they play after school.....I told my daughter that no one is allowed to show their "privates" to anyone else.....I told my daughter to tell me or another adult right away if anyone ever does that.

Diane1016

Asked by Diane1016 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You did your part on talking to your child, now you have to make sure this other mom does her part and talks to her son about not doing this again. Tell them it makes you and your daughter uncomfortable.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• At daycare I was flashed by a little boy. Turns out that same little boy is gay now. Just tell her that's not ok. It's totally normal for kids to do things that we may think are shocking.
    Anonymous

• Not all children who show off their private parts turn out to be gay.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'd respectfully tell his mom. It sounds like she did not condone the behavior before and was trying to get it to stop... I think she needs to know it is continuing so that she can figure out what to do next. If she doesn't know it's still happening she can't address it.

I hope your daughter doesn't have to witness it again!! You told her the right thing :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2009