Opinions on Pomeranians

we are thinking about getting a pom,we are a family of 5 kids aged 5 months to 5 years. I would like to know opinions on this choice especialy if you are a pom owner.

lesliebabl

Asked by lesliebabl at 11:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pets

• We don't own one, but my BFF did and really wished they hadn't gotten it. She was very high strung and hyper all the time, and a constant yapper. Just an obnoxious yappie kind of dog. Our neighbors had 4 of them and they just about drove us nuts with their yippin' and yappin' all the time. If a leaf blew across the yard they'd go spastic and yap yap yap! I don't think they are the best dogs to have with kids, they tend to be very temperamental and nip a lot.

Anonymous

• UGH!
    Never had a good experience with a pom!
    Ankle biters and yappers...
    totally agree with anon 8:50
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 3:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• They are not good with children and they are nippers. I would do research on them.......not good family dogs, they are for a one two person household.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• No, no, and no!

They are horrible little monsters, and hairy! Oh, they're gross, you have to keep their butt hair and the backs of their legs shaved so they don't get dingleberries, and they stink because of all the fur. Might I suggest a rat terrier? Mine is amazing, and wonderful with babies and older kids alike! See pictures of her on my profile.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• not a favorite of mine. I don't think smaller dogs are good around children. Both too hyper.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• good dog choices: labradors, retrivers, german shepherds, welsh terriers, st bernards, dobermans, poodles,
    rivieraj

Answer by rivieraj at 6:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have 6 dogs and pomeranians are not one, Good family dog, Papillon, great with kids, very smart, easy to train and they have good energy for inside or out and will wear out the kiddos and they will go to bed on time at night. lol my mother breeds them and they are just beautiful dogs and are just as small as poms!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• awww, really so many anti pom mamas out there. i own a pom and its not my first one. you do have to have them groomed regularly, which includes trimming around the anal area. of course they will have poo on their arses if they arent cared for properly. they are high maintenance dogs. very loving, very loyal, smart and cute as a button. of course they can become yappers if you dont train them when they are young. if you baby them and treat them like little royalty, you will have a rotton dog on your hands, which is true of any dog, especially the little breeds. the only downside is they can be a bit fragile if a little one falls on them or something and they would be easily hurt. i think a pom is great for slightly older children who can be taught what to do and not to do around the dog, and if the dog is raised with children, it wont have a problem with children. my poms have always loved everyone,
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 9:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009