what are some signs of adhd in a 3 year old or 4 year old?

ok i always see moms say oh my 3 yr old or 4 yr old has adhd how did you find out and what are things to look for??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I absolutely think 3 & 4 is too young for a definitive diagnosis of ADD or ADHD. If concerned I would try dietary changes but nothing else, IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• theyre kids, they do most if not all of the same things add and adhd kids do. its normal. its just an excuse for parents to not have to deal with their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• That is way to young to diagnosis ADD/ADHD. Without knowing what you are concerned about, I really can't help you. No child should be diagnosised before 3rd grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son always moved. He was going full force on two feet at 7 months old and jumping off furniture before he was a year. I fully agree with ADHD and personaly feel that it is something that you have from birth until adulthood, you are just able to control it better. I DO HOWEVER feel that many many many many many parents are using ADHD as a scape-goat and that there is a severe lack of actual raising and guiding kids and more putting a pill in their mouth and sending them on their way.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 12:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• well my son is 3 and he has it, he runs like a motor! he is jumping climbing off and up everything. he will take running spurts that he will run back and forth nonstop to the kitchen to the living room running for about 1/2 hour. then quit and run in the other room. he acts like a monster when we take him anywhere...he cant sit still, wont mind, screams and everything, throws things, gets annoyed and acts like an animal when there are too many people around and it makes him crazy. he cant focus on just one thing. he gets frustrated at the small things because his mind is always going. He cant help it its just in his making. Its somehting you have to learn to live with. He's smart and I look at it as I'm blessed with a child with so much energy. Atleast he can have lots of energy and not be sick and cant walk. Just the way I look at it
    alc03

Answer by alc03 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• ADHD minimics many things so it is very misdiagnosed and right now we are in the process of trying to see if my 11 y.o. is misdiagnosed. We got a diagnosis at 5 but I think that was to early. If a child has impairments they may act out in frustration. Think of how you would feel if you couldn't see clearly that everything was blurry. What if when people talked you couldn't hear 100% and didn't understand. You would probably act out.

The way my son was tested was the second time by a new ped. in 2nd or 3rd grade we checked hearing again, his eyes were okay because he under went eye surgury at a young age and wears glasses, then his teachers filled out a questionnaire.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If a child has ADHD they will have trouble focusing on just one thing, very short attention span. It will be hard for them to keep still. It is easier to spot when you are looking at a group of kids, because there will be typically one really hyper kid that behaves very differently than the rest. However, I would agree with the others that ADHD is VERY overdiagnosed these days. There are ditetary things you can do to help, and also, it will sound weird but have them watch cartoons where the background is still. Watching programs with lots of colors and movement in the background can cause later problems with attention.
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 2:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son is on the edge of having that diagnosis (one, anyway) and it's actually very hard to diagnosis at this age (under about 8) unless it's an extreme behavior. (per our psychologist)

It has to be behavior in ALL settings...at home, all social situations, school/daycare...it has to interfere with their daily living.

They'll go as if driven by a motor...
    can't sit still especially when it's expected.
    inappropriate movements or sounds
    annoyed easily
    annoys others on purpose

...the list goes on. Keep in mind there are also different types within the disorder.

My son has been observed by the psychologist and the developmental pediatrician. My husband, myself and my son's teachers have filled out about three different sets of questionnaires on my son. My son recently had his re-evaluation for declassification from CPSE and the psychologist is waiting on those reports to make a final decision but is leaning t
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• ...is leaning towards ADHD as one of his diagnoses.

I was also told that with therapy and services, if he reacts well and depending on how he develops over the next few years, one or more of his diagnoses could change. So...even getting an ADHD diagnosis NOW doesn't mean that diagnosis will stick around.

That doesn't mean the problem goes away...but if the kid learns to control his impulses, so the disorder isn't so apparent....

Oh..and if you do receive a diagnosis, you do NOT have to tell the school system. But you would have it in reserve so if it came to a point where he needed some help, you can get it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• The only way we knew is that we had 2 daughters before our 3rd daughter. Immediately, we knew she was 'different' at infancy. If she was a first-born then we never would have known the difference until she entered school. As she grew up and got past the "terrible twos" she never ever settled down. Her pediatrician said she was a "spirited child" and shortly after she turned 3 I had her evaluated while she was in Head Start. She was found to have ADHD and I went through parenting classes to learn different parenting techniques. I allowed her to be placed on medication when she was 5 or 6 for her to be able to settle down and focus in school.
    She is now 15 and even more "spirited" than ever due to hormonal changes and an additional diagnosis: ODD. It is time to change her med, yet again, as it is not working anymore.
    Age 3 is not too young as long as the child is diagnosed by a professional and not by a tired doc.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2009