I have a 6yo daughter with Autism. My husband works out of town.

We usually take turns making the 4hr trip on the weekends. He wants to change this to twice or even ONCE a month. I think this is a horrible thing to do to our daughter and would be detrimental to her! He says it's just too hard to say goodbye. I think it's just selfish.

floridalady71

Asked by floridalady71 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with you. He is being selfish and even though i understand that it must be very hard to say goodbye it is still much more important for your daughter to have a relationship with her dad. Not to mention that even the simple change in routine might mess with her bc of her autisim. My younger brother has autism and i used to provide respite care for famalies of children with ASD. I know how important routine is.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• y not move to where he works so you can be with eachother every night
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I don't think it's selfish, I see his point.

My husband used to work out of town during the week and came home every weekend. Just as he was finishing up his out of town job, I was ready to tell him to stop coming home on the weekends. It was too hard on the boys. By Wednesday, they were used to him not being here then he shows up. They spend all weekend with him and then wake up Monday morning and he's gone again. Monday and Tuesday were pure HELL for them and for me.

I have two on the spectrum
    Anonymous