3 year old with fever and eye drainage

When my son woke up from a nap today he had a fever of 102.2 (taken in ear) I gave him some motrin and the fever broke. Later we went to walmart and I noticed his left eye is red and swollen and draining. His eyes have been draining all week due to allergies but nothing like this. I gave him some children's Zertec(sp) and the redness has gone down but the swelling and drainage are still there. I did noticed earlier that he had some cream color gunk in the corner of his left eye but this was hours before the redness and swelling. I have looked up all kinds of stuff online but I am getting conflicting information. Some are saying it is fine and will go away with proper washing other things are telling me to seek medical attention immediately. Anybody have any reliable information to give me or dealt with this before? Help me, I will probably call the after hours number to the ped. if his fever comes back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like he could have "Pink eye" just keep putting a warm wash rag over his little eye then go to the doctor soon. It could be contagious sometimes. i hope he gets better.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Sounds like an ear infection to me.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Ear infection because my sisters kid just had the same exact symptoms. Gunk in her eye, high fever....but no ear pain. Good luck.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If the inside of his eye (the white of his eye) is red it could be pink eye. My sons Doc said pink eye can come from many things and not all varieties are contagious. If your son has allergies it could have become pink eye which is just a generic way of saying there is an infection in the eye. However, when my son had pink eye he did not have a fever. When he has eye drainage and a fever it usually means an ear infection as stated above. Hope he's better soon!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My DD's eye did that when she would get really bad ear infections.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Sounds like pink eye, don't let him rub it and touch his other eye if possible. Do warm compresses to get the gunk out of it. Wash hands frequently.. and I would bring him to the doctors tomorrow if he is still symptomatic! My daughter had pink eye in both eyes last fall.. It was awful! Hope he feels better soon =)

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• sounds like pink eye
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• it could just be a blocked tear duct.... yes that can happen at any age.. or yes, a form of congunctivitis, or a sinus infection, or an ear infection... or even just a cold. Really, if you would let his fever run, he would most likely be over it in a few days. why did you break his fever? You should research a fever and find out what it does. All your doing when you lower his temp is making it easier for the bartiria or viral infection to spread and impeding his immune systems efforsts to fight off the infection. It may make him more comftorble for a bit, but your making it harder for his body to do what it is supposed to do.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009