How do you handle with your 2 yr old child is exploring the boy parts? What do you say/do? How can I address this?

The other night after giving my DS a bath he went to sit down waiting for me to get the diaper. Next thing I know he has taken the towel off and playing "lack of better word" with his boy part.

jenn981478

Asked by jenn981478 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just explain to him that that is something he can do when he is in his room alone. ...it's his penis. he can do with it what he wants. ...but it's important that he learns when it is appropriate to do that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would try not to make a big deal about it to him. Just tell him that it is his penis and that's what makes him a boy. If he continues to play with it, tell him to stop because he might hurt it.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• This is so natrural. I just let my son explore! Its good for them to get to know their body's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• tell him "private parts are for private times."
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• So normal and in no way something to be discouraged, but do explain that he can only do this in the privacy of his room.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I had to laugh when I read this. I raised two boys so I know this is normal. However it made me remember a grandmother telling me about her grandson. He was "playing" with himself and his mom asked him if it itched and he said "no, I'm just playing with my balls!" LOL
    RedHatLinda

Answer by RedHatLinda at 9:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• it's normal for little girls and boys to do that. at 2 yrs old they don't know it's private. I did some research and read some books they suggest to at that age, ignore it but talkl about it being private. and that area being private. as they get to 3 yrs and it will still happen a bit but if you see it tell them it's not the place and have them stop. The hole point is to not make them feel as if it, they are bad but just where it's being done.
    manda4

Answer by manda4 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I don't know if a 2-year old can really understand the concept of privacy. Our almost 3-year old son doesn't do it extremely often but we simply ignore it, or if it's during a diaper change, I'll tell him not to put his hands down there because I'm cleaning him and I don't want his hands to get dirty. With our son, at least, the more you tell him NOT to do something just causes him to do it more. I don't want him to think there is anything wrong or dirty about his body.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 9:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son sometimes reaches for his little wing wing when I take his diaper off. He's been doing it for a while, and he's 22 months now. When I see him doing it, I just say no, no, baby, no, no, and he'll stop. I tell him it's his little wing wing, so he'll know that it has a name like all of his other body parts. When he sits on the potty, I tell him to tuck his wing wing in and he gently tucks it in. He knows it's his, he touches it, but only when it needs to be touched.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I first noticed my son grabbing his penis when he was about 8 months old. I didn't really pay any mind to it until he was about 18 months, then I told him that if he wanted to touch his penis he needed to go the bathroom or his bed. He's 3 1/2 now, and occasionally I'll catch him with his hand in his pants we gently scold him for doing it in the living room (which is usually where he's at) and tell him to either get his hand out of his pants or go in the bathroom or his bedroom and do it. Usually he takes his hands out of his pants, but there's been a time or two where he's choosen to go upstairs. We never make fun of him, and he never gets in any trouble, besides being told not to do it whereever he's at- but I don't consider that getting in trouble.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009